Chapter 28: Winter Moon Festival Pt. 3

Bethany's face twisted in disgust as she watched Katherine drink Demos blood. She never been more grateful then to just be a mere servant. From where she stood she can tell Katherine wanted nothing more to just throw up and she didn't blame her. Bethany herself had the feeling of nausea as well just by watching this horrific ritual. This only gave Bethany further evidence or encouragement as to why they need to escape this place.  With that thought in mind she knew the exact person she needed to find. 

Her Aunt.

As she looked around to make sure no one was paying much attention to her, she sat her tray down leaving the the area. She moved through the crowd as everyone continue to watch the crowning ceremony checking over her shoulder every now and then. 

Bethany continue to move until her movement was ceased by something blocking her path. A low growl erupted in front of her causing her to lift her head. A man of curly black hair and dark skin complexion stood partially in front of a woman, who was just a few shades lighter in his complexion. Her eyes held the look of terror. Bethany's eyes drifted to the tight grip on the woman's wrist. 

"Watch where your going." The man growled causing Bethany to look back at him.

Bethany gulped and replied, "S-Sorry sir." Bethany glanced back at the woman then the man before she made her way out of the area. 

She made her way into the palace. The guards paid her no attention since she was just a maid. Bethany continue her decent down the stairs and hallways until she made it into the kitchen. Maids moved quickly and worked tirelessly preparing for the feast that will take place in a little while. Bethany looked around the chaotic in room in search for her aunt, but she was nowhere to be found. 

She moved about the kitchen until she came to a woman she recognize. "Hey, Mabel, have you seen my aunt?" Bethany asked an older woman who had a few grey hairs showing through her brown hair. 

The older woman let out a sigh as she places what looks to be a pie in the oven. She wipes her hands on her apron turning to Bethany with a stress look on her face. "She is down in the dungeon." She replies. "She's feeding him dinner." Bethany nodded.

Bethany walked down the steps of the dungeon with a tray in her hand of a small portion of food. The further she walked down the steps a horrible smell of urine and vomit hit her nose. She honestly didn't understand how the prisoner can stand it without passing out.

"Where do you think your going?" Bethany was stop when she felt a hand push her back on her shoulder, halting her in her tracks.

Bethany took a breath and replied, "Uhm...I was told by the other maids that my aunt needed help feeding the prisoners." Bethany tried to stay calm as the guards exchange looks. "Okay, fine." One guards said as he opened the gated door moving aside for her. Bethany calmly and quickly made her way through the dim and smelly hallway. 

As she walked further she saw a silhouette of a person standing in front of a cell followed by voices. "Aunt Claire" Bethany called as she now stood in front of the cell. Bethany can see the look of sadness on her aunt's face and bags that have now formed under her eyes.

"Bethany." She looked over to the person who called her, Dallas. He looked just as tired as his mother. His clothes were torn and dirty since the time he as been down here. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to convince Aunt Claire to help us." Bethany said glancing at her Aunt, who now had her arms crossed over her chest. 

Dallas let out a sigh. "I already tried and she refused."