Concepts of Werewolf Genre

A/N: This is a guide to introduce readers that are new to the werewolf genre
(This is a basic guide, some writers have their own unique concepts):

Werewolf:

Genes that are human and wolf, they don't necessarily need to have full wolf either. 25% can still allow them the same as werewolves.

Moon Goddess: The Goddess "Selene" that represents the werewolf population and is one of the gods that werewolves believe in.

Mates: this relates to the human concept of soulmates, however the Moon Goddess intertwines with fate and the selection of a werewolf pairing. (Like Cupid basically)

Alpha: the wolf that has stronger traits that also urges them to look after the pack and take control to guide them through everything.

Beta: supports the alpha and is the second in command, (the alphas right hand).

Luna: the alphas mate, has equal power to the alpha and has many strengths that many expect to be able to show compassion, empathy and is the heart of the pack. Different packs will have different expectations to how much work a Luna will do; e.g. a bigger pack may require the Luna to also help with paper work along side Alpha and Beta.

Third in Command, T.I.C/ Gamma/ also known as head warrior typically: The gamma is typically perfect for strength training and will be one of the leaders to lead on the front line along side the alpha and beta (if a Luna doesn't fight, or the alpha hasn't found a mate yet, the gamma will typically fight on the left side of the alpha to ensure no harm comes in the direction of the heart.

If there is a Luna and the Luna happens to be on the battlefield, the gamma will be on the Luna's left side. Once the pack has a Luna the gamma/ head warrior ensures that the heart of the pack isn't killed and also tends to protect them in other events such as visiting packs.

The Mating Process: consists of 2 things (not in order);
- Marking
- Intercourse
This process can be sped up with heat. Once a female is marked, a heat cycle will sync up along with the male.

Heat: as stated above, the heat cycle will sync up along with the male which will speed up the mating process if not completed, but will also continue for the mate pair to conceive children/Werewolf pups.

Omega: not all packs will use this term, but some will use this term which can be used in a degrading way which usually is giving to someone who is seen as being unusually weak  for a werewolf, also can't be referenced as a runt. This can happen to pups that aren't carried to a certain point of term in pregnancy (this series will be using 9 months, as I believe that a werewolf is still half human which means they still need time to grow and form, but everyone else has their own opinions on werewolf births, which I respect).
This can happen to twins+. One pup may be fully grown and have gathered more nutrients from the placenta compared to the other pup.

Hybrids: in the werewolf world this concept means that some werewolf's have conceived with other supernatural species which can result in some breeds being warlock/witch + werewolf. I don't count a human and werewolf conceiving a child to be a hybrid as the werewolf genes have human to begin with. But let's not get into the whole biology lesson of how genetics work. Try not to over think it all and just enjoy the story.