11. Kiss

(Alex point of view)

***

After the argument with Luke and Elizabeth I kind of snapped at my sister, we stopped talking for a week. At times I would see her eating and I felt a sudden pain in my chest to go sit with her but when I realized it was her fault I decided against it.

I guess I was a bit cold, but look what it did.

She made friends with Lionel and now was in a relationship with Timothy. Good for her.

I had to admit I was a bit jealous.

Luke and I spent almost all our time together, sitting in the library talking and reading, cracking jokes. He was a great company when Lisa was busy and she was always busy these past few days with her paintings for a competition coming up.

When the play was approaching it's when I realized Luke was getting more and more grim, I spent less time with him and more time with David, we were both studying the music sheet in case he got too sick on that day, the boy had a terrible cold.

I noticed the way he acted whenever I mentioned David, the way his face would clenched and then he would brush it off with an easy smile.

I thought it was just my own thoughts, that maybe my sudden crush on him made me second guessed things he did.

Then it was confirmed.

Chloe stood at the corner of the stage, her hands folded in thought and when she saw me she stood straight and smiled. "Alexandria," she said.

"It's just Alex," I replied, she didn't seem to care. She just looked so anxious holding the scrip in her hand smiling like crazily. "I needed to talk to you," she spoke her eyes drifting around.

"Um..." I looked at my watch uneasy with thought, the play was about to start in the next minute, I hope the talk wasn't long. "Sure go ahead."

She smiled, "I care for you not like a sister but because Elizabeth is a friend and you're her sister."

I had no idea where this conversation was going, she kept on going.

"You know Luke likes you, don't you?"

My heart started to race, I think she saw the flush in my cheeks. Luke liked me. Luke Anderson, the guy my sister loathes like me, my best friend's brother. I felt a sudden bliss came over me but I tried not to show it.

"I know," I lied, I hope she didn't see through it.

Chloe nodded understanding, "Do me a favor and stay away from him."

I frowned. What was that suppose to mean? I knew the rumors were lies. Luke told me they were made up to make him look like a horrible person. My response to that was, "Why would someone do something so terrible to anyone." He'd shrugged, "To make me look like a bad guy Alexandria and you have to admit I do look good as the bad guy."

"You like him don't you?" I said to her.

"A lot of girls do," Chloe shrugged, then she looked down embarrassed, "He's a good friend and I don't want him to make a mistake."

I raised my eyebrow at her, "A mistake? I'm a mistake?"

"I didn't mean it that way –"

"I know what you mean, you think he would get hurt or worse he'll hurt me and Elizabeth would bring down fire and brimstone down at him. Elizabeth is mistrusting, she always been since her grandmother took her in, she thinks everyone is only friends with her because of our father and maybe she's right but it doesn't matter, not to me."

"Maybe she's right maybe Luke is after –"

"Chloe please stop, you're sounding like my sister and I appreciate you looking out for me but I don't need you to."

Chloe stared coldly at her with her green eyes, then with a nod she walked away.

The whole play give me time to think, while I worked back stage I saw Luke in the audience and I even saw my sister staring ahead not knowing I was seeing her. Jon was even there too and I was happy he was around, he was less complicated than my sister.

When it was all over my rush of adrenaline was gone and I felt so exhausted, Luke walked me to my dorm, lazily I strolled towards until he took my hands and brought me close to him. I was completely awake now, his hands comfortably warm, his scent lingered as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"We're almost there," he whispered.

I hummed softly in response and I heard him chuckle, his laughter was always so soft and sweet. He stopped at the stairs and kissed my forehead, the gesture of love Elizabeth would always give me ever since we were younger. I made me feel a bit guilty for not having my sister around.

The kissed happened unexpectedly.

After the chess game between Timothy and Luke, he gestured me to walk with him to class. I was happy since we were going in the same direction, I thought maybe after the game he might leave me behind forgetting I was waiting, but he didn't.

We walked down the hallway, I saw some students watching us but he didn't draw much attention to us, we never held hands in public and he kept himself at bay distancing himself when we walked in areas like this.

I took my text book out of my locker and he gestured me to follow him. "Are you okay Luke?" I asked. He seemed awfully quiet.

He stood uneasy in the room, then turned to me and for a moment I was afraid and mistrusting like I was before we became so close.

He walked up to me and cupped my cheeks, "I'm sorry Alexandria but I need to tell you something."

I touched his hands, feeling my heart racing, "What is it Luke? It's okay."

"It's not," he muttered almost to himself, then chuckled, "Honestly I can't help myself you're such a good person and I like you..."

"But..." I was ready, I was ready for him to tell me he didn't want a relationship or that he thought of me like a sister because of how close I was to Lisa or worse he had a crush on Elizabeth that's why he kept taunting her like that and I was the only way to get close to her.

Please be something my heart can manage.

"Elizabeth is right?"

"What?"

He let go and turned in face, "I had a plan to ruin your family and for a moment I saw it happening until you came along."

I didn't know whether to be angry or grateful, Elizabeth was right all along and I treated her like she was crazy she was right to mistrust Luke and now he was telling me he changed his mind because of me. How was I to take that? I don't want to be the reason for anything really. All I wanted was just a crush that might break my heart so I can go eat ice cream felt overwhelmed with emotions of heartbreak and despair because those emotions I never experience.

Gosh I sounded like my favorite singer Shawn Mendes.

"Alex?"

I blinked not realizing he was waiting for me to say something. I said the truth, "I don't know what to say Luke."

He walked up to me and my heart was pounding my chest frantically. "Say anything Alex, I feel pathetic."

I grinned, "You feel pathetic, I'm scared."

"Why?" His voice so soft.

"Because I never..." My eyes glanced at his lips and he knew immediately what I meant and smiled, leaning in slowly, he gently brushed his lips against mines and I felt my head spinning my mind turning so soft.

I pressed my lips firmly to his I felt him smile, he kissed me and I was happy because what he said made me feel like I had him forever.

The first kiss was always this good?