26. Secrets

(A/n: Just like chapter 21 this will also be a long or perhaps longer switching from different point of views. If it gets confusing feel free to ask me. With that said we're approaching the ending of book one)

Jon

"No absolutely not," I said watching my mother smile turn upside down. She casually pulled her appearance up and smiled back though in between her expression she was still reviving from the shock. "Jon, but this is a good idea."

"For you maybe but..." I avoided her gaze, "Not for me."

She was quiet, her fingers tapping on her cheek as she intently stared at me. I hated when she does that. "It there something wrong Jonathan? Since you got home you've been –"

"How about you stop pestering me mother and let me live, for god sakes. I don't want it, not the Haystack Estate, not the Industry and certainty don't want to marry someone I don't know for the sake of family ties."

With that said I got up and walked away from her, we were in the study room at that time and when I was just about to open the door father opened up and spotted us conversing. It's to say I felt sick seeing him after I made the announcement to my mom.

"If I don't know correct son I'll say you're cutting ties with your family name."

I didn't say a wrong, I felt it hard to swallow seeing him standing there made me afraid and I knew he had the control over us, he just allowed us to think he didn't. "Father..."

"You love her?"

My eyes widened when he said this. Her? Jessica? He knows but when I remained quiet I saw a tiny smile lingering on his lips, same time mother stood up, "Love who?"

"You do and I would advice for you to end it, for the sake of this family. The girl's father is –"

"Telling me to do something isn't going to make me do it," I replied.

That seemed to shock him but only for a second until he laughed it off, clapping his hand on my shoulder tightly. That in return shocked me, I pulled my lips tightly inward as he rest his hands on both my cheeks and allowed me to look back at him. We didn't look alike, I was more of my mother than him. Maybe I had her personality too as I grew up more with her. I never understood how she got brave enough to file a divorce.

Yet here she is drinking in her ex-husband's manor like she's still belongs there.

"Your mother raise you well, Jon," he said to me, tapping my cheek. I squirmed, side-glancing my mom who looked grim. "I allowed you and the girls to have your fun. Elizabeth with Timothy, Alex with Luke, you and this girl I can't allow, she's... well a liability."

That made my whole inside turn twisted. For these pass few months Jessica has been my little escape from all of this. My sisters didn't understand the pressure I dealt with, in school and at home, Elizabeth might but she will object to my feelings because she wants it even if she wouldn't admit it, she wants to be heir. She wants have the power.

I let a teardrop fall down and my father frowned, "Don't let love cloud your judgement Jon. If you knew her well she will hurt you. Now be a good son and tell the girls to join the room I want to tell them something."

He let go of me and I nodded, wiping my tears away from him and grabbing the door handle fast before I get angry.

It was when I was in the halls I let my frustration out, I didn't scream I just punched the concrete walls a few times till my fist started to ache. I looked like a brat sobbing over it all, like I didn't get my way.