28. Friends

Luke

It was approaching midnight when I got a phone call, sitting by the campfire in the Haystack Manor reading I hadn't thought anyone would disturb me considering how late it was.

I should've been sleeping. Everyone was but I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Staying up seemed logical and the library in the Manor had some interesting books.

It wasn't the phone call that surprised me, it's wasn't even the person, it was the time that made me suspicious. "Grandfather," I said, I glanced at the big clock that hung over the fireplace, "You're up late."

"As are you Luke," he replied.

I closed my book, getting up to stand closer by the fire, the coals cracked as the flames burn through making a humming sound, it mixed with my soft voice so that my voice wouldn't echo too much in the Manor.

"You had Victor arrested," I noted.

He hummed in reply and I let a soft snort at his uncaring attitude to the matter. "Tell me, how are your friends Luke, surely they must have thought you had something to do with it."

"Considering I'm your heir yes," I replied, "Alexandria was thought it was me and I thought you might have made it seemed that way..."

"I would never –"

"Then Jonathan and the rest of us thought it was Lionel, I can't figure out if you knew he was friends with the detective's daughter or it was just bad luck on Lionel's part."

"Just a coincidence I assure you."

"So his daughter had nothing to do with Victor's arrest." Hearing this seemed to make everything better even by just a little.

"Unfortunately no, she didn't even know her father was working for me." I nodded at the information, I had to tell Jon in the morning, that way it might clear up some of the misunderstanding.

"And what of Elizabeth?" my grandfather added.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "What about her?" I asked, pretending not to know.

"Is she still the same strong-minded girl like she was before? Or has her father's arrest change her?"

"You and I both know her change in behaviour has nothing to do with her father's arrest, what did you tell her?"

"Nothing."

I scoffed at that, "Don't lie to me grandfather, and if you are do a better job at it."

"Luke, I want your friendship with the Haystacks to end, especially –"

"Stop trying to change the subject," I replied, feeling my tone grow in annoyance, "I will not end my friendship with Elizabeth or any of the Haystacks. You can't force me to do so."

"Then expect me to find someone else to replace you."

His words calmly stated but still managing to affect me either ways. I was deciding what to say when I heard someone coming down the stairs. I walked up to see who it was, Elizabeth stiffening when she saw me, her eyes locking with mines unblinkingly. I ended the call on my grandfather, walking up the stairs only to stop midway when I saw her stepping to hide her suitcase.

I knew instantly what she was going to do.

"Elizabeth..."

"Don't try to stop me Luke," she said, her voice a harsh whisper but still managing to make me feel hurt.

"I'm trying to understand why you are doing this," I replied. She ignored me lifting her suitcase and climbing down the few stairs remained. She passed me, completely ignoring my presence. "You're leaving in the middle of the night," I noted turning to get her attention, she pulled out her handle and began pulling her luggage to the door, "I am."