27. Tragedy

Elizabeth

I stumbled into the Manor, the mild snow already melting soaking my winter coat as I stepped into the Haystack Estate. Alex came into the living room to see me, before I could even take off my coat she ran and hug me I embraced her letting my coat fall clutching onto her as she sobbed into my shoulder. I patted her hair with affection, closing my eyes and trying to understand how this all happened.

Jon didn't tell me the answers over the phone, he said when I come back he will and it's already late in the evening that I was back, missing out so much already and leaving my family in the mess. I wouldn't have gone to London if I had known Father was going to get arrested.

I looked up and caught sight of Jon, he was silent watching Alex in my arms. I let go of our little sister and stepped closer to him, holding his shoulder as I asked, "Jon are you okay?"

He nodded, looking down at the floor, "Mom's asleep, she's been asleep since yesterday when we told her what happened."

I nodded, pursing my lips at the details, "Must be the stress."

"Yeah but she left us to deal with it all," Alex replied, "I barely managed to ask Lisa and her brothers to stay with us, god knows that's awkward."

My eyebrow raised up, "Luke and the others are here?"

Alex nodded, folding her arms and looking at the floor. "Y-yeah, you were gone we needed..."

I shook my head, "Alex it's okay, I'm glad they're here."

"Where were you?" Jon asked. "What were you doing in London?"

I frowned, not really having a good lie for those questions. "I didn't had anything to do with Father's arrest if that's what you're thinking," I told them both, then just as I spoke the Andersons came, my eyes landed on Luke who knew exactly where I went, clearing my throat I avoided his gaze, "I went to see a friend that's all."

"A friend?" Alex didn't buy it and so did Jon. They were both convinced I had something to do with Father and can you blame them I was bold about investigating our father. "Yes," I said, then looking at Jon before sighing. "Can you fill me in?"

---

"So who arrested him?" I asked when we went upstairs. I had him stand outside of my bathroom as I changed off my dress. He was on the other side of the door so I heard him well as he spoke. "He didn't say his name but it seemed like father knew who he was. It was after Mum's action at the Ball when it happened."

"So after I spoke to him then," I noted as I put on a sweater.

I heard the surprise in his voice, "You spoke to him before he was arrested."

"Yeah," I said, "I – um – wanted to talk about Mom's behaviour and Jon..." I bit my lower lip as I thought about what father told me. "Yes?"

I shook my head and grabbed put on my pants, "Nothing, father will tell you when the time comes."

"Tell me Elizabeth, what if he never comes out now."

I frowned opening the door to see my brother, worry in his eyes. I sighed walking up to him and giving him a small smile, "Dad's going to be fine Jon. The police wouldn't hold him, he probably already called an attorney and hell if he hasn't we will for him. Do you know where they said they were taking him?"

"The town's police station, not too far from here," Jon replied.

I nodded, "Well then tell the others that you and I will be going to there."

He was shocked, "Just us? You don't want Alex to come?"

"No," I told him, "Partly because Dad wouldn't like Alex to see the ugly side of him – even though she might already have a clue." Jon stared ahead, nodding slowly as to what I say before meeting my eyes, "You think this has anything to do with Richard Anderson."