12. Trust

"A masquerade ball?" Jon replied puzzled, "Really? I don't want it."

Alex, Jon and I were at the benches after Jon finished his football training, he smelt like sweat and cologne which was a horrible mixture to my nose but I ignored it as we tried to convince him about our father birthday plans.

"Come on Jonathan," Alex said, "Don't be like that, Dad's doing this for you."

"If he's doing it for me then I suggest nothing fancy and something close to his heart," he replied with a shrugged, "I mean who does he think I am?"

"Heir to the Haystack Industry," I replied.

Jon frowned, "I don't want it."

Alex eyes widen with shock but I just nod, "I know."

Alex turned to me, "You knew?"

"Of course," I replied my eyes glancing at Jon but he avoided my gaze. He didn't had to tell me how he felt but I knew he didn't wanted anything from our father and I don't blame him, look at us, we were separated after our parents divorce, our grandmother wanted to keep only me and my mother couldn't afford to take care of both Alex or Jon and pay for her rent for her Flat as the same time so Aunt Claire had to take Alex.

Dad didn't want any of us.

He was so absorbed in his work and now he only wanted us back because we were getting older and we had sense, children didn't had sense, children needed to be taken care of and he didn't want that, he wanted us ready made and he got his wish.

"Look it at this way Jon," I told him, "Father will spent all his money on us, pay for a good education and we'll just throw it back in his face."

Alex shivered, "That sounds cruel."

"It does," I replied, "But he's cruel too." I remembered him threaten Timothy and still even though Timothy stayed away he still got his friend Charles fired.

Jon seemed to understand what I meant, he took a sip of his water and then sighed, "I don't want any part of this Elizabeth, and even if he's cruel he's still our father."

"I guess you're right," I replied looking at my hands, they were trembling suddenly I clenched my fist and shook my bad thoughts out of my head.

Alex clapped her hands cheerfully clearing away the chilly mood around us, "So it's decided, we leave tomorrow after school and your birthday will be Saturday, and Sunday will fly back before school starts."

Jon frowned, "Gosh so much traveling, that's a reason I don't want it."

Alex shook her head, "I agree with somethings Elizabeth said, it's about time dad spends his money on us."

I grinned at her. Looks like she was by my side again, I was happy. The memory of seeing her getting kissed by Luke didn't seem to matter to me. If she likes him then I guess I should at least try to be there for her.

***

Jon went to change and told us not to wait for him, Alex and I walked back to the Academy passing through the pathway in the grass, we made it to the lake and she unconsciously picked up a pebble and tossed it in the water.

I smirked remembering what Chloe told me about the Lake. Students always caught throwing pebbles at it, I guess Alex was frustrated about something. "Are you going to invite Luke?" I asked curiously.

She didn't seem stunned by the statement, only shaking her head, "I don't know would it be obvious."

"No."

"How would you know?"

"The Anderson family was always close to ours, if father or mother questions it I'll just say I invited them."