Regrets

'Impossible!' He thought.
'It can't be really him, can it?' He questioned himself with doubts.

But then again, the person infront of him showed him otherwise.

Haechan's breath got uneven when he tried to word out something but couldn't. His head felt dizzy.

With all the strength he managed to build up, a small "hey" came out of his quivering lips.

The dark haired boy after hearing this, turned around slowly and when he came face to face with the boy in front of him, he raised his left eyebrow examining the boy's every action.

Haechan felt pressured under his stare and did not dare to look up but just managed to utter a word that made the darker haired boy smirk in surprise.

"Mark?" Is what he uttered in a questionable voice.

"Wow! So you actually know my name?" Said the boy named Mark with still that smirk on his face.

'It is him.'

"Well done! I am really honoured that you know me." He continued with mockery in his voice and started clapping his hands.

After those words, Haechan had the strength to raise his head up and meet the now cold eyes of the older boy. He knows that Mark is one year older than him because their in the same class and Haechan actually skipped a year resulting, unfortunately, in the same class as the older.

"Why?" He asked with a small voice.

Finally he was able to ask 'why'.

"Why?! You are asking why?" The older questioned back with his brows raised.

Mark 'tched' at Haechan. He got away from the window and sat on the sofa.

Once he made himself comfortable on the grey sofa, he took out an A4 size folder out from a bag and slided it towards the younger on a table.

The younger now had a confused look on his face. He didn't get what the folder, the older just plotted on the clear glass table, meant.

"Read it." The older simply said while glancing out the window behind him. He moved the curtains a little bit to let the natural light in.

Haechan found a nearby chair and sat on it. He took the yellow cover folder in his hands and examined it without opening it first. The cover was similar to another cover which he remembered exactly and started to give him this sense of anxiety, which he didn't like at all. It made him feel like these papers could ruin his already ruined life in a glance. His breathing got harder and if he didn't stop those thoughts then he knew that he was going to have an asthma attack, and he didn't have his inhaler with him-indeed that was a huge problem; Mark was there but he doubted that he would ever help him, hope for his help didn't exist, not after what he always did to him in school. Haechan also had the idea to ask Mark why he bullied him in school, but then thought it would be too much to take in and it wasn't the right time to talk about that know. So he calmed himself down. Took a deep breath and finally opened the folder.

Haechan's brain stopped functioning.

Right in the front page there was a picture of his so called 'father' and all the information about him. Some he himself didn't know. From his date of birth to all his financial problems and his life story. Including the date when his dear mum left them.

To his bewilderment when he turned to the fifth page on the folder, he found his picture with all kinds of information about him, like he was some kind of criminal.

Slowly, he turned to the seventh page. That same page which he said he will never regret not reading. But now, he wants to take all those words back.

Every letter in that faithful page was jumping right at his face, not letting his brain time to process what was written on it. Even if he went over them again and again, the words acted as if they were foreign to his mind.

The only clear thing on the page were his signature and fingerprints.

Everything from that night came back to him.

He regretted everything. Every single word, action and thoughts he never asked that night.

Haechan read over that page again one last time. Every single word finally sank in his brain, leaving it blank for a while.

Even after understanding everything, another why escaped his lips without him realizing. When he did realize what he said, it was too late to take it back cause the older had already answered him.

"You're saying fucking why again?" Mark said irritated. His face portraying his emotions.

"No, it's  just-" He tried to explain that it was a mistake but Mark interrupted him.

"It's cause your shitty dad made too many problems for us and the only way he could get out of them was paying a huge sum back. But your old man spent all his money on getting drunk and nothing else so we figured there was no point in trying to squeeze out money from a penniless man." He stopped.

Took a deep breath and then followed on.

"That is why we gave him two options."

He showed the number two with his index and middle finger, showing how many options Haechan's father could choose from.

Then he explained the options.
"One, he dies and to repay his debts he gives all his death insurance money to us.
Or . . ."

A long pause followed after.