Rescue Team Pt.3

Blood spurted on his face, making him quickly flinch away.

Haechan’s hands trembled and let the object in between them slip to the ground and hit the asphalt with a thud just like how the body in front of him ungracefully met its end.

What he just did felt like a dream – nightmare to be precise.

His self defence instincts had told him to look back, so that’s what he did. Terror rose in his heart as he saw the man close to towering over him. That made him grab whatever was beside him on the floor to protect Jeno and himself. This resulted in him picking up the gun that laid there forgotten after Mark dropped it when he was attacked by surprise.

Only when the deed was done did he realise what he had just done. 

“Haechan!” Mark quickly ran to the brunette and held him in his arms, continuously whispering things like, “everything’s fine”, “you’ll be okay” and “you did nothing wrong” like a mantra.

Once the situation and words finally, fully, sunk in his mind, Haechan looked up with hopeful eyes and quivering lips, saying “I- I di- did the right th- thing, right?” while taking deep breaths.

Mark’s heart broke at how weak the tan’s voice was while saying that. He hated himself for being too late and allowing such an act to be done by him.

“I’m sorry–”

Mark’s eyes widened a bit in surprise once he felt soft – still a little chapped because of the cold weather but nonetheless pleasant – plump lips leave a light kiss on his neck. God knew if it was accidental or intentional. Only thing Mark knew was that it calmed him down and he was very grateful for it.

“It’s fine.” Haechan let himself relax more in Mark’s arms. It became a (bad) habit to enjoy that warmth but he could do nothing but crave for it more when it was not there. “Just tell me that I didn’t do that in vain and that we’re all safe now.”

Mark looked around at the various dead bodies displayed on the floor and strained his ear to hear whether more were coming or the ones that left had actually left. To his luck, everything was now silent. There was something that didn’t fully add up but he decided not to ponder too much about it.

“We’re safe.” Mark finally said. When he only got a light nod as an answer, he looked down and couldn’t help but softly smile at the way Haechan already dozed off. He was probably really tired and the recent actions most likely took a big toll on him. After all, it was really cold and late too. And if it wasn’t for a certain person coughing out too loudly to make themselves be known, then Mark could have admired that adorable sleeping face a little more. That, though, was going to be impossible with a certain someone tapping his shoe on the floor and waiting impatiently.

Looking up, Mark came face to face with a pair of glaring raging eyes, which tried their hardest to not be caught but were miserably failing at it. His eyes softened once he remembered what kind of situation he had seen him. Let’s not forget the inevitable actions he saw him do or at least heard. 

“Jaemin . . .”

“Are you two love birds gonna let me get to Jeno or do I have to wait until you get married?” Said younger spat out with all his might.

Mark, realising who actually was the one who needed the most help, quickly scooted away so that Jaemin could get to Jeno and tried hard to ignore whatever he said about how the two currently looked in his eyes.

Jaemin quickly went over to the injured and crouched down next to him. He quickly analysed in what kind of state he was in, and immediately deduced that a proper treatment was all he needed along with plenty of rest. But going to a hospital would be the worst as of now because they’d have to explain what actually happened.