Small Talks

There she was.

His once cheerful and vibrant mother was standing right in front of him with a dull expression on her face.

Mark not wanting to be seen as though he was effected by it, returned to her the same expression. No one said anything for a while. They looked like a mirror image of each other.

"Can I come in?" Her voice sounded tired.

Mark nodded and expanded the door more for her to be able to come in. She took light steps and entered the room. Her eyes started wondering around the room, which she didn't step in for a long time. She sat on the bed and waited for Mark to come and sit next to her. He was hesitant at first, but still sat beside her.

Haechan was trying to keep his breathing in check. He knew that if he got discovered he would be in big troubles. From his position, he could see Mark's black shoes with white stripes and next to him an woman's bare feet.

"The guard, at the door, said you came back. So . . . I thought, I might as well come and check up.  I mean it has been a really long time since you visited home. Last time you came here was before that accident." Her voice still had a hint of sleepiness in it.

'Home.' Mark wanted to laugh at the word, which sounded bitter to his ears.

"Were you sleeping?" He tried to avoid the subject which she was trying to bring up. She hummed in response.

"The guard came up to me around ten minutes ago, to inform me. I was contemplating wether to come or not. Thinking if you would like to see me or not. In the end as you can see, I ended up coming." All through that conversation, her voice remained dull like her expression. By then Mark lost all interest on even facing her and started picking on his nail with his other nail. She once again looked around the room.

"It has been a long time since I stepped in your room. It hasn't changed, just like you." A dry chuckle left her lips. Mark could see that she was trying to make the atmosphere a little bit livelier. But it didn't work. He glanced at her and saw her playing with a strand of her pale cream night dress.

*Achoo* a muffled sneeze interrupted the silence in the room.

'I am definitely going to be discovered.' The younger feared.

Before his mother looked at him, he immediately covered his face with both of his hands in a sneezing action.

"Bless you." She stared at him.

He just nodded.

Mark's mother lifted her hand up and moved it towards his back. Mark didn't see her moving her arm so when she was caressing his back, he flinched.

'Wrong move' He was near to shake his head but stopped himself from doing it.

His mother was hesitant from continuing after he flinched. Her expressions and voice may not show it, but deep inside she longed for the feeling of caressing her younger son. So she continued, even though her mind said no.

Mark was glad she didn't stop. True, he missed her. But he could not say it.

"Why don't you come back and live here, with us, happily, like we used to?" Her voice was the same.

Mark shifted a little in his place and remained quite. His mother let out a light sigh and retrieved her hands.

"I know it has only been a year, but have you already found another follower?"

"That is not something you need to worry about." He answered coldly.

"How am I not supposed to worry about that. Your my son and I'm your mother. I want to know if your ok. And if you have a follower that means you are cause their job is to take care of you." Her voice changed from dull to a little anger.

'This woman is Mark's mum?' Haechan was trying his best to keep a gasp locked in his mouth.

"No mum. That's not a follower's job. A follower's job is to follow me around where I go and work with me on whatever I want to work. They are just a little bit different from an insider." His voice too had a little anger in it.

"Huh? But she use to take care of you more then she took care of herself. This is why I though . . ." She stopped talking and looked at the ground.

"Mum, she was different. And you out of all the people should know what a follower is." He also looked at the ground.

"Yes, sorry. I forgot." She apologized.

Silence fell over the room once again. This time it was so quiet you could even here the ticking of the night blue clock, situated on the wall.

Loud and quick footsteps could be heard coming towards the door.

Both Mark and his mother looked up in confusion.