Niklaus Mikaelson

Scarlett's POV

The ambiance in the Mikaelson mansion has been quite gloomy after the whole incident with Kol. I'm very proud of that rushed plan, actually. 

Elijah told me to keep a distance while Klaus and himself figure out what to do with Kol. It's been almost three days, and so far I've heard nothing of what they have decided. I do believe that they have somehow gotten rid of him since he hasn't broken down my door yet.

After the whole deal, I hid away in my room as Elijah asked. 

I'm currently sitting in the chair in front of my one and only window. It's quite peaceful, actually. To not be scheming for revenge for a few days.

Speaking of windows. When I entered my room that day, I realized I had forgotten my guitar somewhere. I didn't remember much from the night before. Luckily, for me, Jakob came by and gave it to me through my window. I hope to God he remembers to make sure that he was not seen, or else all my lessons would be for nothing.

Sitting in my chair, enjoying the sound of my guitar as I played 'walking the wire' by Imagine Dragons, is honestly what I needed to keep myself concentrated on my mission. I do prefer the acoustic version the most. I feel it's more calming than the original.

My humming was interrupted by a silent knock on the door. 

"Come in," I said calmly and continued to play my melody. 

I could hear the scraping of a chair behind me. I already knew who it was, Klaus. His scent, his aura, his presence are difficult to forget or ignore.

"Hello, Klaus." I smiled as I laid my guitar on the ground in a calm motion. How genuine that smile appeared is lost to me. I never know what's real or fake with me around Klaus. 

"Hello, Scarlett." He greeted me and sat down in a chair beside me.

 "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" I asked with a teasing smile. 

Klaus leaned forward and put his elbows on his knees, looking at the ground. 

"If this is about me being too close to Hope or bothering Kol, I'm truly sorry," I said in a sincere tone and leaned closer to him. 

"I'm not cross with you, not at all... I wanted to thank you for saving her. You put your own life at risk for her. You've been more loyal to this family than many of the members have ever been. You barely know us, you've only been here for six months or so yet... Sometimes it feels like I've known you all my life." Klaus paused. 

Well, I have 'known' him for most of his vampire life, but he doesn't know that.

"I feel the same." I blurted out before I could stop myself. 

It was like I lost control of myself for a split second. My outburst made Klaus look up from his lap. I instantly look away from him, like it was an instinct. 

What's wrong with me?

Klaus sighed and let a tiny, sideways smile creep onto his face. 

Then it fell as quickly as it came. 

"You know, Hope is all I have left. She's the only one that does not despise me yet. I cannot lose her. She's my last chance at happiness." 

I have never seen Klaus this vulnerable. 

It should have made me suspicious instead it made me feel some sort of sympathy. 

His face, his wave of emotions were pulling on my heartstrings. Strings I thought I believed I had cut a long time ago.