The Betrayal

Darius's POV

I managed to catch up with Benjamin as he stood in front of the door of our temporary home, ready to open it and walk inside. 

"Hi, Sweetie. Are you alright?" I asked him and placed my hands on his waist and hugged him from behind. He jumped a bit in response as if I had woken him from a trance. 

"Yeah, why do you ask?" He asked confused as I placed my chin on his shoulder. 

I swallowed the lump of guilt in my throat and played along. 

"After what happened to Scarlett, I thought I should check on you." Benjamin's face fell, his gaze landing on his feet as if I reminded him. 

I don't know exactly what his mind is telling him about what happened to Scarlett but I have to keep up the lie. 

"I miss her already... I can't believe she's gone." He said barely above a whisper as tears started to slide down his face. 

He leaned his head against the door like keeping it up was a burden. I hugged him closer from behind. Benjamin was the kind of person that didn't like for people to see him cry so I kept myself behind him for the time being. 

It hurt to see him like this but it was truly for his own good. 

"I miss her too" I replied copying his sad tone as I lovingly kissed his shoulder

I pulled away from the hug after a little while and turned Benjamin around so he had to look at me. I lifted his chin making his beautiful brown eyes look into mine.

 "We will get through this but right now we have to leave before they get us too," I said in a tender and calm manner. Benjamin sniffled as I wiped the tears from his face with my thumbs. 

"What about Jakob?" He asked concerned. I was about to answer that I didn't know where he was but then speaking of the devil, right?

"Hi, guys," Jakob said slowly walking up to us. 

"Where have you been?" I asked him as he stopped beside Benjamin. 

"I helped Scarlett with her last wish. I can't really remember what it was but I guess that's how she wanted it. You know how she is... was." Jakob replied his head hanging low on his shoulders, hiding his face. 

"We have to get out of here, don't we?" Jakob continued. 

"But what about revenge? We have to make whoever did this pay!" Benjamin chipped in.

 "NO!" I said a little too abruptly. 

They both turned and looked at me. Benjamin had a confused look. Jakob, however, looked at me knowingly. Does he know? Didn't she compel him? 

I collected myself and continued. 

"Scarlett would want us to be safe, now pack your things. We're leaving in an hour." I stated sternly as I grabbed Benjamin's arm and pulled him inside. 

Jakob followed suit. Benjamin started to climb the stairs to our apartment which was on the second floor but before I could follow Jakob pulled me to the side. 

"You know, you remember, don't you?" Jakob asked in a hushed tone. I knew it. 

"Yes, but how do you know? I thought she compelled you?" I asked trying to remain quiet. 

"I may be dumb as shit but I do remember to take vervain every day." He answered quickly. 

"Okay, but Benjamin can't know. We have to leave, you understand that right?" I asked him sternly.