26

He struggled to breathe properly; his heart was erratic as he lay on the stone slab. Every muscle was in pain from the attack that he'd just barely managed to fend off. Dizziness plagued him every time he opened his eyes to look up into the darkness above him. Lucas swallowed; trying to wet his throat that had dried out from all of his screaming.

He trembled slightly, chest heaving as he fought to regain his energy and composure. The demon's presence had long since faded, but Lucas feared that Kivar would try again and soon too. The Vampire didn't like the implications, especially in his weak state.

"You're rather impressive, Lucas. Most would have fallen prey to a demon trying to claw them inside out. Almost makes me want to grant your wish of fighting me."

Lucas turned his head over to look at Kivar who watched him with a wild look in his eyes. One finger was pressed against his lower lip, the arm resting against the other that was wrapped around his chest. Glowering at the Stalker, Lucas didn't answer him as he ground his teeth.

"Just kill him already, Kivar," a woman's voice filled the room, snapping in irritation.

Lucas tried to find where she was in regards to the sound of her voice. Kivar laughed and shrugged his shoulders, giving a sigh in return, "Yes, well I have need of him. He's going to be very useful against a certain someone."

"You mean that bratty human toy of his?"

"Yes, that 'bratty' human toy," Kivar answered as he walked up next to Lucas who had failed to locate the woman that was speaking with the Stalker.

Leaning over the Vampire, Kivar grinned at him, flashing his double fangs as he did so, "You must drink from that toy of yours regularly. That's really the only explanation for your being able to fend off a demon of mine."

"He's not a toy," Lucas growled back even as he pulled away as far as he could. It wasn't all that far considering the stone he lay upon.

"Interesting... In any case, let me help you to accept the next one I summon."

Lucas' breath gasped into his lungs as Kivar dipped down towards his neck and shoulder. The Stalkers fingers pulled the blazer and shirt of the school's uniform downwards to expose the Vampire's pale skin beneath. Unable to go very far, the best that he could do was to turn his head inwards to keep Kivar from reaching him. Of course that only rewarded him with the Stalker grabbing his jaw and jerking his head out of the way roughly.

He ground his teeth as he felt Kivar's breath on his skin, a sickening feeling pulsing down his spine. His heart sped up and all he could think about was how much he wanted to be free of the chains and rip Kivar's head off. The sharp teeth pricked his skin, and then sunk deep into the soft tissue of muscle between his neck and shoulder.

Lucas' mouth fell open, his eyes widening at the sharp pain that flooded him. He shouted sharply, his voice cracking. The Stalker dragged on his neck, sucking up mouthful after mouthful of his blood. The initial shock faded, giving way to unpleasant burning that spread from the bite throughout his body. Shutting his eyes tightly, he clenched his jaw to keep from screaming more.

The more blood he lost, the more energy he lost. Slowly his body was becoming numb, every muscle growing limp the longer Kivar was attached to him. Even the cold stone beneath him was starting to feel like the only thing with warmth around him. His eyes slit open, unfocused with the pupils taking up nearly all of the color of his gaze.

Finally, the Stalker pulled away, taking a deep breath of air as he did. Running his tongue across crimson stained lips, he licked away the remaining blood on his mouth. Stretching a finger outwards, he ran it across the two holes in Lucas' neck, picking up some stray blood and putting it into his mouth.

"That should be much better, don't you think?" Kivar asked a grin on his lips.

Lucas didn't answer his head lulling off to the side. He couldn't concentrate on anything, drained of every ounce of energy he'd originally had. This is really bad... he thought to himself slowly. A droning haze washed over him, making it even harder to pull himself together.

"Fine, play with your little pet, Kivar. I'm leaving," the woman's voice cut through to him.

"You'll miss the fun, Mithviya."

"I'll take my chances," she growled and the sound of someone moving filled the room. Turning his head, Lucas watched from his tunnel vision as the Stalker's hand was already lifted again and the red circles were beginning to form a second time. As the Stalkers hand dropped the magic over him, Lucas closed his eyes in preparation.

He knew this time, he wasn't going to win.