Andy's New Toy

6/26/19
Story cover by the amazing aloha-ahiahi 💙💙💙💙

"Sarge, any sign of 'em?" Woody called from across Andy's room. The green toy solider, along with a few of his men, were standing on the desk, looking out the window for the first sight of the blue van.

"Negative, Sheriff!" He called back. "Andy's not back yet!"

"Well, they shouldn't be much longer." The cowboy said aloud. "Get ready, everyone! The new toy should be here soon."

"Oh, I hope it's a dinosaur!" Rex cried out with hope from across the room. "Then I wouldn't be the only one!" The chipper dinosaur then stopped dead in his tracks as he gasped, mouth agape. "What if the new toy replaces me?"

"Hey, hey." Woody jumped off the bed, skipping over to the green dinosaur figure. Placing a reassuring hand on the dino's back, he said loud enough for all the toys to hear, "Nobody's going to be replaced! It'll just be a new addition to the family, that's all!"

"Red alert! Andy's back!" Sarge yelled. "Back to your stations!"

"Let's go, everyone!" Woody declared. "Get back to your position!" The toys furiously scrambled around the room, either delicately placing themselves where Andy had left them or plopping down onto their sides.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" They heard Andy cheering as he got out of the van.

"Calm down, honey." His mom laughed as she pulled Molly out of the vehicle. "Hurry and take your toy upstairs, then come right down for dinner."

"Okay, mom!" Andy called out, already at the doorstep as he skipped with excitement. He burst threw the door and tore up the stairs to his room. Sliding on the floor in his socks, he shuffled over to the bed and sat the box on the mattress right by Woody.

As Woody lay still, he tried to see the toy as Andy carefully pulled it out of the box to take a quick peek at it. However, Andy's position made it impossible to see the toy. The boy looked at the toy curiously, obviously ecstatic to have it in his possession, but also in awe by its features.

"Andy! What did I say?" His mom called from downstairs. "It's time for dinner! You can play later!"

"Sorry! Coming, mom!" He called back. He gently placed the toy back into the box before dashing into the hallway, closing the door quickly behind him.

The second the toys heard the kid's footsteps vanish down the stairs, they began to move. Woody curiously approached the box left on the bed as the toys began to gather on the floor by the bed. The toys waited expectantly as the cowboy slowly opened the box. His eyes went wide with awe when he saw what resided within.

"Woody?" Slinky called.

"What is it? What is it?" Rex asked with a twist of excitement and panic.

Woody didn't reply. His attention was solely focused on the porcelain doll that was laying on her side in the box, arms wrapped around her legs and pulling her knees into her chest as she buried her face into her knees. Her eyes were clenched shut, a frown on her face, and she had a chip in her cheek.

"How long?" Her voice cracked as she whispered. "How long will it be before I got tossed away again?"

"What?" Woody asked, finally snapping out of his trance.

"That's all that ever happens."

"Miss, I think you just need a friend." Woody smiled, holding his hand out to the doll.

"What's the point?" She mumbled. "I won't be here long anyway. I'll be back to the boxes in no time."

"What? No!" Woody said. "Andy will never give you up! He isn't like that."

"How can you be sure?" The doll asked, lifting her head to lock eyes with the cowboy and revealing her pained expression. "It's all that's ever happened to me. Why would it change now?"

"Because you're here with Andy." Woody replied. "Now come on out. The gang wants to meet you." The doll just looked blankly at him before slowly sitting herself upright, taking the cowboy's hand and letting him help her out of the box.

"So, what's your name, partner?" Woody asked her as the doll dusted herself off.

"(Y/N)." You replied quietly. "My name is (Y/N)."

"Well, (Y/N), welcome to Andy's room!" He smiled, gesturing to the area around him.

She looked around the room sadly. "It's nice to see something other than the inside of a box. I wonder how long it'll last...."

"Woody!" Slinky said as he and the others climbed onto the bed. "What's going on?"

You turned around to see a wide variety of toys. There was a slinky dog, a green dinosaur, a pink piggy bank, a potato head, and many more. But what struck you the most was the other porcelain doll. If Andy kept that doll, then maybe you actually had a chance?

"Everyone, this is (Y/N)." Woody announced for you. The toys then greeted you and gave you their names too. The porcelain doll's name was Bo Peep, but she told you to just call her Bo.

"Hi everyone." You smiled weakly, although fake, with a small wave.

"So, ya like to play Checkers?" Slinky asked you.

"What about board games?" Rex asked.

The toys began to bombard you with questions along those lines, all ones you couldn't answer because you never did anything. You were never given a chance to just be a toy. "I've never done any of those things." You quietly spoke up.

"What?" The toys asked at once, clearly shocked.

"Have you ever even had a kid?" Potato Head asked.

"Too many to count." You answered shamefully, lowering your head.

"Well, you at least know what it feels like to be a toy, then!" Rex smiled.

"No.... I don't." You replied with a small crack in your voice. "I've never been played with."

"Guys, I think she's had enough!" Woody spoke up, motioning for the toys to stop pestering you. "If (Y/N) wants to talk about it, then she'll do it when she's ready. For now, I think we should just give her some space to become accustomed to the room."

The toys slowly got off the bed as you turned to Woody when he said, "You seem like you've gone through quite a bit, but hey." He placed his hand reassuringly on your shoulder. "You're gonna be just fine here. You'll stay here."

"I hope so." You replied with a frown. "I don't know if I can go through any of that one last time."

From downstairs, everyone heard Andy say, "Done, mom! I'm going upstairs!"

"Okay honey! Be careful with that toy! It might break easily like that other doll!"

"I know, mom!" The sound of footsteps could be heard thundering towards and up the stairs.

"Andy's coming!" Hamm yelled.

Everyone hustled to their places, but you fearfully looked at the box. Woody put his hands on both of your shoulders and looked you dead in the eye as he said, "I promise you'll come back out of that box." You could hear the sincerity in his voice and see it in his eyes. Giving a small nod, you climbed into the box and got into position.