Reunited, or Further Parted?

10/15/19

The majority of the flight was very smooth. Every once in a while, the dragon would have a little trouble fighting an oncoming breeze, but he handled them like a pro nonetheless. You were quite surprised by how strong the little reptile was considering his small size, weak build, and the fact that his wings and tail fins were made of a very thin plastic, even thinner and flimsier than paper.

"Will we be there soon?" You asked him politely, excited to meet up with your friends after all this time. They were going to be so surprised, and you anxiously awaited to see how they would react.

The dragon cooed in response, so you were unclear what he was trying to say. However, you received your answer minutes later when he finally passed over a gap in the clouds. Below was a hustling multi-lane road, and on one side stood a red barn with a giant chicken statue out front.

"There it is!" You gasped with excitement, pointing down towards the store. However, you noticed the cone moving across the busy street, trying to get to a tall building opposite the toy barn. You and your dragon friend eyed it curiously, but you were relieved to see it was Buzz when he discarded the cone over his head. "That's my friend! Land by that building instead, please!"

Your dragon friend nodded, but as he began to make his descent descend towards the ground, his wings began to finally tire out. It was a bumpy ride going down, and you had to hold on tight for dear life. The black reptile let out a panicked roar, signaling that he was worried about the landing to come as he struggled to keep his wings steady.

Without even thinking, your actions controlled solely by instinct, you laid flat against the dragon's back and wrapped one arm tightly around him. With the other arm, you opened your parasol behind you, using it as a parachute as you helped the tiring dragon land in the bushes.

"Are you okay, boy?" You asked the dragon, very concerned at the poor exhausted creature that staggered beside you in the brush. He nodded, clearly in a daze after the intense crash that almost was.

Looking around as you poked your head outside the bushes, you noticed the footprints going into the open vent. The ones that stood out most were the dinosaur ones, further confirming your thought that the footprints belonged to your friends.

"They're in there." You told the dragon with a smile. "I'm going in. Are you ready to go back home?"

The dragon nodded as he purred, nuzzling his head against your hand. With a smile, you eagerly wound up his crank until your arms tired out, unable to go anymore. "All set! Now, I better see you and your friends again sometime, okay?"

He nodded happily.

"Alright! Off you go, bud!" You smiled, releasing his crank lever. His wings began to rapidly flap once more, now completely energized and functional. He roared his farewell as he rocketed into the air, disappearing in the clouds overhead.

You hurried into the vent, eager to meet up with Buzz and the gang. Traversing through the winding vent system, you came across the elevator shaft. A chilly breeze was flowing upward through the shaft, giving you an idea. Holding your parasol out over the gaping abyss, you smiled to yourself in victory as the breeze effortlessly opened it up and raised it upward, your hand being its only anchor.

Stepping out of the vent and into the open space, you began to float to the very top of the building with the help of your trusty parasol. You maneuvered yourself into the very last vent at the top, closing your accessory with a proud smile. Hoping this was the right floor, you walked through a little bit until you heard a familiar voice growl, "You're not a collector's item. You're a child's plaything. You are a toy!"