Dancing Lights of the Past

11/9/19

You landed smoothly on the bumpy pavement, and it only took a few short minutes to backtracking to finally see Woody and Forky. He was holding the hand of the Spork, who was having trouble staying on his loose stick feet. "Woody!" You cheered as you went running towards the cowboy.

"(Y/N)!?" He exclaimed in shock. When you leaped into his arms, he hugged you back as he asked, "What are you doing out here?"

"Well, I couldn't just leave you out here alone!" You smiled at him, pulling away. "I came after you, obviously." You closed your parasol and slung it back over your shoulder, giving the cowboy a playful wink.

"Carry me?" Forky interrupted. You were unclear who he was speaking to.

Woody's eyes narrowed in annoyance as he flatly replied, "No."

You sent the Sheriff an unimpressed look before turning to Forky with a bright smile. "Come here, kiddo. I'll carry you!" Forky's smile grew as he hurriedly waddled towards you with a cheer. He leaped into your arms as you held him securely in place, one arm loosely draped over him while your other arm firmly supported the beneath of his stick feet.

"Why do I have to be a toy?" He asked once you and Woody began to walk along the road again.

"Because you have Bonnie's name written on the bottom of your sticks." You answered with a caring smile.

"Why do I have Bonnie's name written on the bottom of my sticks?"

Woody was starting to lose his cool with the brainless spork. "Because she-" You cut him off by sending him a firm glare, telling him to keep his cool without actually saying a word at all. Woody recomposed himself and confined, this time softly. "Look, she plays with you all the time, right?"

"Ugh. Yes." Forky grimaced, causing you to giggle.

"And who does she sleep with every night?"

"The big white fluffy thing?"

You laughed at the spork, who seemed just a like an innocent, curious child. "No, not her pillow. You!"

"All right, Forky." Woody started with a tired sigh. "You have to understand how lucky you are right now. You're Bonnie's toy. You are going to help create happy memories that will last for the rest of her life!"

You eyed the spork in your arms, seeing him looking around curiously. "Huh? What?" He obviously hadn't been paying attention. Turning to look at Woody, you saw him begin to dance around curiously as he let out a chorus of annoyed, frustrated groans. Then, after taking a deep breath and mumbling words of confidence to himself, he recomposed himself once more.

"Okay, like it or not, you are a toy." The cowboy spoke very slowly. "Maybe you don't like being one, but you are one nonetheless. Which means you are going to be there for Andy when he-"

You slowly came to a halt, a frown tugging at your face as you put down the spork. Woody had always had a hard time getting over the fact that Andy was no longer his, technically speaking. He made these slips very easily, and quite often. "Who's Andy?" Forky asked, seeing your sad expression once you placed him gently onto the cold road.

For a brief second, Woody's expression mirrored yours. He quickly snapped himself out of the oncoming nostalgic thoughts. "I mean, Bonnie. You have to be there for Bonnie. That is your job."

"Well, what's your guys' job?" Forky asked him

"Well, right now, it's to make sure you do yours."

You sent the spork a small smile. "And it's to make sure you get back to Bonnie safely!"

Forky sent you a blank expression before turning to Woody. He stared at the cowboy in silence, his expression never changing, but he eventually raised his arms. "Carry me?" Wow, that little guy really had a listening problem, didn't he? His thoughts were too quick for him.