Darkness

Catherine: 

Growing up monsters lived under our beds, in the shadows. Placing fear into the unknown, that's what makes them the scariest. Having that feeling of not being in control, for something to come at you and not know what it's going to do to you. Seems as though the monsters now lay next to you and slowly drain the life out of you. 

Seems as the darkness is the only place to hide from them, maybe because they are scared of you. What the darkness can do to your mind. We lack the power to overthrow our darkest thoughts, which can cause any human to fold. Even monster can't understand what darkness can do to someone, even more, when they're in pain. 

--

" Shhh," " be quiet," " He's coming to get us." " Please save me." " we need you."

I'm in a dark room only light coming through is a window above me. In the shadows, a door is slightly open. The voices seem to be coming from there so I walk towards the door. As I get closer I feel a chain on my wrist and I'm stuck in front of the door. I turn around to face a figure I can't make out. I turn back towards the door and It's wide open; beyond the door is the beach. The voices seem to be getting louder, " You can do this, believe you can." I look at the chains, close my eyes, and think of them falling to the floor. 

Soon I feel the warmth against my face, I open my eyes to see the beautiful blue sea crashing to shore. I thought where am I? " you're safe here," a voice says behind me and I turn to the voice.  It came from a little girl, looking closely it was me. " why do you look like me? what's going on," I asked 

"I am you just in a different form because I'm your wolf. Layla. I'm here to help you, Catherine." She spoke to me and her words sent me to a world of confusion. What in the hell is going on? " You called for us and now we are here to help you find peace." 

" us?" I asked and she smiled softly. Her eyes look behind me as I turn around a young woman is there smiling at me. The woman has long brown hair that falls in curls, her eyes are the color of the sea, her faces has been kissed by the sun which has left freckles. " hi mommy," the woman says to me ...Annabella. 

" what.. what is this," I ask them and they smile to me. " mom, we are here to help you understand a few things. You're in a lot of pain right now, so you made this place to get away." Annabella explained to me.  Flashes backs of Nick putting me through so much pain comes rushing back. The sky turns dark and lightning strikes the ground, rain starts to fall. I look up and rain falls onto my face. "It's okay to be sad you know?", Layla says to me. " we get it but Cat if we don't help you everyone will be in danger." 

Now wet I look at them " I don't want to do this anymore, It hurts too much. This wasn't how my life is supposed to go.  I wanted to have a normal life, be happy and in love. Not fighting an evil witch or curses, to die than come back. This wasn't how it was supposed to go." tears drop from my eyes and felt as though they would never stop. The girls looked at each other and watched me cry some more. Annabella grabs my hand " look around you what do you see?" she asked.

" dark storm clouds, rain, sea," not knowing where she was getting out with a game of I spy. "It's still pretty in its own way is it not." my wolf asked. I looked out to the sea and it was calmly crashed into the land, it was still beautiful even if it was a little dark. I just nod and they smiled. My wolf takes the lead " find peace in a hard time and learn to accept the things you can't understand. Even the most beautiful sights have dark moments." I look back onto the sea and the sky starts to clear and the sun comes out once more. The sun peaks out from the clouds, birds take the fight into the wind, and at that moment it all comes back to life. 

" Mom, you have to save yourself before you can save others. You know what you have to do now." She smiles at me then hugs me. I pull away from the hug and look at her;  " my beautiful baby." kissing her head she soon fades into the wind. 

Layla comes up to me, " you know its not your fault right. You had to choose and you made the right decision. I mean being a hybrid is pretty badass even if you can't become a full wolf. " we laugh together, hearing your younger self sware is a little weird but still funny. "so I made up this place?" I asked. 

" it has always been here but until now you finally see it and understand it. I love for you to stay but you have a lot going on outside of here." She gives me a soft smile. " You know I'm really going to miss you Cat." She then turns into a pure white wolf and runs away into the light. 

I walk towards the door and into the light