Chapter 16

FEAR OF GOD

Dear Followers of CHRIST:

Today—I want to talk about the BEGINNING of understanding of the LORD: Fear of GOD. Today's Christians talk a lot about GOD's grace to the point that the "Fear of GOD" is almost ham strung. Why should anyone fear GOD when there is grace?

Well GOD IS FULL of grace, but people have lost sight of the "Fear of GOD." How do I know this? Because of the vast number in the church who are lukewarm. You can't truly fear GOD and remain lukewarm. It is the understanding of the fear of GOD that will drive you right out of the lukewarm state.

If you read the Bible, you will find several people who were lukewarm or worse: completely cold toward GOD, who lacked the understanding of fearing GOD that clearly led to bad outcomes: lessons that the lukewarm church is not embracing because they are disregarding this part of the Bible and this side of GOD. For example:

Nebuchadnezzar lifted himself up in his heart above GOD and while the words were still in his mouth GOD brought him down:

Daniel 4:30-32 (KJV): 30The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? 31While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a Voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. 32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

Aaron's sons were disobedient to GOD and Aaron's status as High Priest could not even save them: Leviticus 10:1-2 (KJV): And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. 2And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

Korah challenged GOD's choice of leadership in Moses and Aaron and he was destroyed by GOD: Numbers 16:3-4 (KJV): 3And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD? 4And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face:

Numbers 16:31-33 (KJV): 31And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: 32And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. 33They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

This is not restricted to Old Testament teaching—let's also look into the New Testament for example:

Herod allowed the people to praise him as if he were GOD and GOD destroyed him: Acts 12:21-23 (KJV): 21And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. 22And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.23And immediately the angel of the LORD smote him, because he gave not GOD the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

Ananias and Sapphira deliberately lied and stole from GOD and they too were immediately destroyed by their actions: Acts 5:1-11 (KJV): But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the HOLY GHOST, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? And after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? Why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto GOD. 5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. 7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. 9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the SPIRIT of the LORD? Behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out. 10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. 11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many asheard these things.

Make the "Fear of GOD" your priority because the Bible says the Fear of GOD is the BEGINNING of understanding. This should be the FIRST thing you understand about GOD—to fear HIM.

Understanding that even CHRIST said to Satan: Thou shalt not tempt the LORD thy GOD. Even CHRIST understood and respected WHO GOD HIS FATHER was and that GOD was to be feared, respected, and revered. Too many today have absolutely NO respect for GOD, WHO HE is, and what HE stands for, and ultimately what HE is capable of.

Matthew 4:5-7 (KJV): 5 Then the devil taketh HIM up into the holy city, and setteth HIM on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto HIM, If THOU be the SON of GOD, cast THYSELF down: for it is written, HE shall give angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 JESUS said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the LORD thy GOD.

1 Samuel 12:24 (KJV): Only fear the LORD, and serve HIM in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things HE hath done for you.

Psalm 2:11 (KJV): Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

Psalm 19:9 (KJV): The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psalm 25:14 (KJV): The secret of the LORD is with them that fear HIM; and HE will shew them HIS Covenant.

Proverbs 9:10 (KJV): The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.