here

it took two hours for you to calm down and come downstairs. i held your hand as we descended and your parents hugged you and my mother even hugged you.

couldn't you see you were loved? i hope you did.

it's been three days since that day and you still haven't opened up to me. i didn't expect you to.

but as of right now, we're sit on my bed as we sit on opposite ends, facing each other while we're cross-legged on my duvet.

"so, you have a friend named jasmine," you restated. i nodded and told you all about her. from her quirky remarks and comforting hugs, you were smiling but i think your mind was someplace else. you were smiling nonetheless. a smile that i was so glad to see again.

"and then-"

stories kept flowing out of my mouth and you nodded and your smile was fading, but i kept telling you them. i told you stories of what happened while you were gone and by the end, your smile was completely gone.

"-and now you're here," i say quietly, looking up at you. the smile is instantly back on your face and i get that familiar warm fuzzy feeling in my chest and as quick it comes, it's quick as it goes.

"now i'm here," you say with a light tone.

"i still don't believe you're here," i whisper to more myself than you, but you heard anyways.

"why's that?"

"it's just," i started to say, flipping the hair out of my eyes. "you were... gone, for so long and-"

"it doesn't feel like i'm actually here?" you asked, finishing my response. i nod and look away for a second before back at you. you're staring at me quizzically and i don't blame you.

"but you're here."

"i'm here."

"can you say that again?" i ask, biting my lip.

"say what again?" you ask.

"that you're here."

"i'm here."

and with a sigh of relief, i say, "good."