close

the next day, we were laying on the couch, snuggled up in a cozy blanket that kept us warm as the outside was cold and slightly snowing.

“i have to go soon,” you say. “mom wants me back before the snow gets worse.”

i pout and look up to you and you’re looking down at me. “so soon?” i ask.

“i’ve been here all morning, val.”

“i know, but—“ you place a kiss on my cheek and i flush, still not used to the sudden moments. “my mom saw us yesterday, you know.”

you look at me with a confused expression, but then your eyes go wide. “oh, god.”

i nod and hang my head, groaning. “she tried to give me the talk over dinner last night, jasper.”

you laugh and put your arm around me. “she’s trying to look out for you, you know.”

“i get that, but it’s—“

“shush,” you whisper in my ear and i shiver involuntary. you smirk at my reaction and kiss the side of my neck before standing up, leaving me cold and bothered. i glare at you.

“see you tomorrow,” you say, walking to the door. i stand up and walk up behind you, giving you a hug from behind. you jump a little but i snuggle my face against your back.

“promise?” i ask with my voice muffled in your jumper.

“i promise,” you laugh. you turn around and grip my arms. “why wouldn’t i see you tomorrow?”

i shrug. “just in case something bad happened to you…”

you shake your head. “don’t worry about me,” you reassure. “now, remember what i told you?”

i roll my eyes. “no answering the door for strangers—“

“and?”

“no picking up the phone for random or unmarked callers—“

and?”

i sigh. “don’t leave the house without calling you first.”

you smile and place a kiss on the corner of my mouth. “see you tomorrow.”

“bye, jasper.”

“bye, val,” you say, before unlocking the door and opening it. “love you,” you say in the doorway.

“are we going to be one of those romantic couples that say “i love you” every minute?” i ask, raising one of my brows.

you shrug. “not if you don’t want to be.”

“i love you, too, you big cheese ball.”

“it’s mr. cheese ball to you—“

i throw a couch pillow at you and you duck as you burst out laughing. “okay, okay. i’ll call you later.”

“see you.”

and you leave as i lock the door behind you. i smile and push a piece of hair behind my ear. maybe it is getting better. maybe things are finally looking up.

maybe.

the phone suddenly rings, but i don’t answer it. i don’t.

because things are okay and nothing is on fire, and jasper and i are fine. we’re happy and healthy and we’re damn fine.

we’re so close to perfect.