call

you finally show your face three days before i go back to college. you show up uninvited with your hands in your pockets.

i look at you, waiting for you to say something. your raven hair looks not brushed and the dark circles under your eyes look deeper and blacker to the point of almost sickly.

“hi,” you say softly.

“hi,” i reply, playing with my fingers.

you take a deep breath. “i’m sorry.”

“it’s whatever,” i say, shrugging.

“it’s just that—“

ring, ring. the phone interrupts you and i sigh angrily, not bothering to pick it up.

“are you going to get that, or…”

“it’s just some stupid caller,” i say over the rings. “they’ve been calling for the past week and won’t—hey, what’re you doing?”

you pick up the phone and answer it. “hello?”

your face scrunches up, but no emotion passes your face. “no,” you say sternly, surprising me. “she isn’t here.”

“jasper, just hang up,” i say, sighing. you lift up a finger, signaling me to hush and the vein in your neck is bulging a bit, but i don’t take much notice of that. i don’t take notice how your hand wraps around the phone more tightly, or how you’re clenching your teeth. i don’t take notice of any of that.

“that’s none of your concern,” you say, your voice filled with venom. “fuck off.”

“jasper!” i scold, grabbing the phone away from him a bit forcefully. i say a quick apology to whoever is on the other line and hang it up. “what was that for?”

you close your eyes for a second and take a deep breath. “some asshole just trying to scare you,” you whisper.

“what’d they want?” i ask.

“nothing,” you say a bit too quickly. “just… don’t answer them next time if they call.”

“okay…?” i drawl. “why? i can handle myself.”

you scoff and my mouth goes agape. “what?” i ask.

“sure you can,” you say. you place your hand on my shoulder and look me in the eyes. “just promise me, okay?”

i tilt my head to the side. “well, uh, sure—“

“great,” you say, smiling. your actions confuse me, but i let it slide.

“great,” i repeat weakly. your smile just grows bigger.