want

valerie’s p.o.v.

beep.

beep.

beep.

what’s that noise?

i go to open my eyes but the light strains them and i wince.

“she’s up!” comes a voice and my head is pounding. i eventually open my eyes and i see four figures in the doorway.

my mom.

a nurse.

a doctor.

“val…” someone breathes and my eyes go to them. my eyes go wide in surprise and she comes over to me in long strides and kisses me on the forehead. jay.

“w-what am i—“

“you’re okay, baby,” mom speaks up. i look at her and she gestures to my stomach and i look down. i go to touch it but the doctor interrupts.

“ms. marie, i’m dr. jones but call me david,” he says and smiles. “how do you feel?” he asks. the nurse comes over to take my blood pressure and i look around.

“sore… my head hurts, i—“

jasper.

“where’s jasper?” i speak up when i realize he isn’t in here. “where—“

they all look down and jay comes up to me and grabs a hold of my hand. “he hasn’t come yet,” she says and my face and heart drops. “but,” she says with emphasis. “he’s been here the first few days ever since you came. he was like a leech.”

“how long have i…?”

“six days,” the doctor—david—says. he has a clipboard in hand and he’s writing stuff down. “which is understandable with your surgical procedure and all—“ i go to wince because my stomach pains. he must take notice and he puts his pen back in his pocket. “i’ll be right back to go get you some pain medication.”

he leaves as well as the nurse. my mom wheels herself up next to me and strokes my hair. “i love you,” she says lightly and i send her a smile that doesn’t reach my eyes, but she takes it anyways. i look over at jay and she has tears in her eyes and i motion for her to come next to me. she walks over to me and bends down so i can wrap one of my arms around her for a hug.

“thanks for coming,” i say quietly to her and she pulls away. she smiles and nods at me.

“anything for you,” she says.

“i thought you were overseas—“

“when your mom,” she gestures with her thumb pointing to where my mom is. “rang me and said you were here, i just had to come see you again.”

“but you’re missing your studies and—“

she shrugs. “a few more days won’t hurt,” she grins. i smile in response but it fades when i realize i’m in a hospital. my heart rate monitor beats faster and my mom soothes me by making hushed coo’s.

“jasper’s in the clear,” mom says, speaking up. i look at her, confused. she clears her throat. “he went to court the other day and the judge declared he was innocent.”

“oh,” i say quietly. jasper’s okay. he’s not in trouble. i let my eyes close and i rest my body. “i want him here.”

there was a sigh and i didn’t know who it came from. “we know, baby,” a voice says gently. my mom’s. “we know.”