midnight

i kept his promise even though the calls happened more in the middle of the night.

my mother was away with one of her friends for the night and the same night, when i lay in my bed, the phone rings.

i look at the clock. 12:04 a.m.

who calls this late anyways?

i thought it could be my mother, but i realized she wouldn’t call this late anyways.

i don’t get up out of my comfy bed and just stare at the ceiling. it cuts off at the fifth ring and i sigh gratefully. i go to roll over when i hear a pounding on the door. i jump and i still as the pounding gets louder.

thump.

thump.

i debate whether or not i should answer it.

thump.

i stand up out of my comfort zone that is piled with blankets and wrap my arms around my chest. the hallway is dark and the thumping and pounding of my door makes my heart race at an uneasy speed.

the curtains are closed, too. i inch myself closer, yet slowly, to the door as i stare at it.

thump. i jump in surprise as it’s loud and when i walk closer to it, i can hear muttering voices which confuse me greatly. i put my ear to the door when the thumping goes away, but all i hear is the screeching of tires and silence.

whoever it was, is gone.

i didn’t sleep for the rest of the night.