new

valerie’s p.o.v.

days pass and jasper never showed up. not for a second. or a minute. nothing.

“he hasn’t shown up,” my mom would tell me when i bring up his name. “he’ll show up when he wants to and when he’s ready. i wouldn’t get your hopes up, baby.”

i’m waiting for him, still. besides that, i’m healing, that’s a good thing, but all i want to see is him.

knock, knock.

“want some pudding?” jay asks, walking in the door with a tray. i look at her and give my best attempt to smile, but i end up shaking my head.

she comes in and closes the door anyways. she puts the tray next to me and sits down on the bed. “how are you feeling?” she asks, looking at me.

“i could be better,” i say, shrugging. she rolls her eyes and smiles.

“no, but really,” she says, turning her body so she faces me. “how are you?”

“honestly?” i ask. she nods. “i just want jasper,” i whisper.

“puppy love,” she says and sighs. i go to slap her in the arm but she wiggles away from me and she laughs. “sorry,” she says. silence follows but she speaks up once more. “i’m sorry about jasper, val… i really am.”

i shake my head. “it’s not your fault, jay.”

“i wish i could make things better, you know?” she starts. “i feel like a terrible friend and i abandoned you when you needed me the most—“

“you had school, i understand—“

“no,” she interrupts and looks down at her shoes. “i’m sorry.”

i pull her in for a hug and she starts to cry and my only thought is: why is everybody crying so much lately?

“quit crying,” i whisper to her and she sniffs loudly and nods. “it’s not your fault and i forgive you, just stop getting my hospital gown wet,” i joke. she breathily laughs and pulls away, wiping her eyes that are stained with mascara streaks. i hand her a tissue and she says a quiet “thanks” before blotting her eyes.

“when do you have to go back?” i ask and she throws the tissue in the nearest bin and shrugs.

“i don’t,” she smiles.

“don’t say you’re dropping—“

“no,” she gasps. “’course not. i, um, i’m going to university down here.”

“where?” i ask, wide eyed and i sit up taller.

“like two hours away, but that’s closer than the other side of the world.”

i grin and she grins, too. “i’ll take it,” i say.

“now, eat your pudding, i didn’t pay a dollar for nothing,” she says and i frown. chocolate.

“i don’t like chocolate,” i groan and frown. “do i have to?”

she nods. “here’s to new things,” she says, holding the pudding cup up.

new things.

“yeah,” i say, quietly. “to new things."