hospital

a/n: ily guys.

you were right.

the night before i had to leave for college, i got a call from your parents around 6:23 p.m.

“valerie,” they sobbed. my face turned white as i heard your mother crying.

“what?” i ask hoarsely, my voice crackled. “what’s wrong?”

“jas—“ hiccup. “—per,” deep breath. “he’s in the hospital, he—“

i run to the front door as my mother shouts at me, asking what’s wrong.

“why?” i ask. “is he okay? where is he? what—“

“let me see that, honey,” your father’s voice says calmly to your mother as she’s in hysterics. “hey, val,” your father says.

“what happened?” i ask.

“well, the police think it was sort of a hit-and-run type of deal,” my eyes go wide and i cover my mouth with my hand. “he has a stab wound in his abdomen, but they’re putting him through surgery at this very moment. doctors say he should be okay.”

i let out a cry. “mom!” i shriek.

my mother wheels herself out more and looks at me, startled. “what happened?

“jasper’s in the hospital—he—he got stabbed and—“

“what the hell?” my mother shouts, wheeling herself fast to go get her keys.

“can i come down there?” i ask him shakily.

“of course,” he says in a quiet voice as if he’s about to cry. “be careful. the roads are wet, val.”

and in the next few minutes, i drive fast to the hospital with my mom in the passenger seat as drops of rain pelt the window and the only thing i’m trying not to do is burst into tears.