Couldn't care less

Hello Cassbutts! This one took me some time and I don't know, I don't really like it but here you go...

"Please Dean, say something. Anything." Cas pleads, clinging onto his arm as Dean looks in front of him at nothing, a blank expression on his face.

"Don't do this again, Dean! Don't shut me out! I love you but you can't keep doing this to me, to us. You shut yourself in your room for days, only to come out disgruntled and drunk. We were thinking of adopting. Remember that Dean, when we wanted to have a kid?" Cas asks hopefully, trying to get through to Dean.

These last few years had been hectic. Dean had become more...aggressive. Had started drinking more, he hardly left their room, and Cas was just tired.

"Yeah." Dean mutters back gruffly, his face still a blank curtain, void of any expression at all.

Cas sighs and hangs his head. "Okay." He whispers quietly.

They had been happy for two years before Dean, became, well, Dean. Cas still remembers when Dean took him out to this beautiful lake for a picnic. It had been absolutely stunning. Now Cas rarely left the house, in fear of his bruises being seen.

"Dean, I want you to know that I'll always love you and..." Cas hesitates, his eyes starting to fill with tears and his throat tightly closes together. "I'll always be here for you but you need to figure this out, wherever it is."

Dean watches as Cas takes his coat and steals one last glance at Dean, who's still sitting on the couch with a beer bottle in his hand. He shakily takes a breatg and turns the knob, stepping out into the cold winter night.

Dean knew he should've called out to Cas, to finally utter the words, 'I love you'. He couldn't believe that their relationship, that their marriage had survived without those words being said by Dean.

They where so simple, so delicate yet so dangerous because if said at the wrong time, it might become a grenade, destroying everything it touches.

When Cas had asked Dean to marry him, he had simply nodded. Castiel had been so happy. He hugged Dean and whispered for hours on how much he loved him. Dena had just said okay and uhu, not once even saying a proper answer.

He realized that he didn't need Cas, he just wanted him, like a prize to be won and to show off to the world.

He couldn't love. He had lost that chance a long time ago, when he still held out hope that the right one might come along and rescue him from his never ending nightmares.

And the right persons had come along, and Dean let him slip through his fingers.

Because if Dean let himself believe, even for one second, that he might love Cas, he would just leave him, leave Dean standing alone in his dust as Cas runs as far away from Dean as possible.

So Dean beat him at his own game, faking emotion and unrealistic love, giving Cas a glimmer of hope that he was worth saving, that he could actually be saved.

So when Castiel walked out that door, no hearts where shattered and let broken. No souls torn to pieces by grief. No brain scrambled, trying to recover and hold onto all the good memories of both of them. Of them being happy, smiling.

Dean was just left with the amazing feeling of being right, of finally proving that everyone left, even if it was your own fault, because love cannot conquer all, love cannot surpass reality, love is just love, and love is dull, unnecessary.

Dean had destroyed Cas's image of love forever.

And he just couldn't care less.