Funeral Crasher (Pt, 1)-Prinxiety

//tw: self deprecating thoughts

Is this worth it? Is it worth it at all? Is love worth the pain?

No. It's not.

But I can't help but crave it anyways.

I want it. I need it. It's a drug, and I'm addicted.

Who got me addicted?

Princey. Stupid fucking Princey and his perfect everything. Stupid fucking Princey who'll never love me back. Never.

So I'm gonna solve the problem by disappearing. It'll be a big favor to him, to all of them.

He keeps saying that... it's all over his notebook... but he had no clue... no, he had no clue how much I loved him....

If only one of us had told each other... then I wouldn't be standing here, in a room full of his old things. Then I wouldn't be supposed to be getting ready for a funeral.

For a funeral for the one person I ever loved.

The one person I refused to tell.

"Virgil..." His name escaped my lips with a strangled sob, and I fell to my knees, clutching the book to my chest.

~later, at the funeral~

They finally opened the room with his casket in it. Logan, Patton, and I were the first ones in. I walked slower than usual, not wanting to see his dead body. But when I got to the casket, it was...

"Empty?" Logan whispered. "But... that's... that's not possible..."

"It sure as fuck isn't," a familiar voice said. Virgil walked out from behind the red curtain. "And yet, here I am. The doctors managed to save me. Somehow."

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open.

"And you didn't tell us?!" Logan's tone was a mix of mad and relieved.

Virgil shrugged. "I wanted to know how you guys would react if I died. So I crashed my own funeral." He finally looked at me.

I was on the verge (sorry, virge) of tears. I didn't know what to say. What to do.

"What is it? Cat got your tongue, Princey?" he teased.

I took a deep breath and steadied myself. "I don't know if I should punch you or hug you right now."

Virgil seemed to ponder the suggestion. "You know, I don't know which is worse."

I quirked an eyebrow and pulled out a small book from my pocket. "Oh, really? Because this book-" I held it up, "-says otherwise."

Virgil went pale. "I-uh-where did you get that-?!"

"Your room. I was asked to go through your things, so I did."

"And you READ it? You know, there's this thing that exists called PRIVACY!"

"Yeah, well, I thought you were dead. What do you expect me to do?"

"NOT READ THE DIARY OF A DEAD PERSON?!"

Logan stared at him. "Virgil, people do that all the time. It's kind of customary. If you find the diary of a dead person, you read it."

"Exactly! Thank you, Logan!" I threw the book at Virgil, and he fumbled to catch it. I adjusted my jacket. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must leave now. Goodbye, everyone."

I started to walk away, but Virgil ran after me. "Wait! You can't just walk away after I find out about something like that!"

"Oh, it'll all make sense if you read between the lines, Virgil." I smiled at him briefly and continued to walk away. He didn't chase after me this time.

Virgil POV

Read between the lines. That's what he told me to do.

So I'm rereading the diary. Seeing if he left any notes. And, sure enough, he added one on my latest entry, the one I wrote just before I attempted suicide.

Dear VirgIl,

I know you're probably not going to see this, as you're dead, but j just had to say this.

You say I never loved you. That maybe it would be a favor to all of us if you just... disappeared. But none of that is true. I've always loved you. I just didn't-couldn't show it.

And I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being such an asshole. I'm sorry for not telling you. I'm sorry.

-Roman

I stared at the paper for a second. Then sent him a simple, three worded text.

[Local park. Now.]