22

"Yeah it went really well actually, standing ovation and everything," Taron said, standing in the hallway upstairs of the pub. He tried to ring home at least once a week to check in on his mum because he did still worry about her and Phil; it didn't matter how many times Lisa assured him she was fine and Phil was treating her well.
"I still can't believe how well you're doing, I'm so proud of you!" Lisa beamed and Taron could almost feel her smile through the phone line.
"Thanks, mum"
"How's Belle?" She asked, Taron had told her that they were now officially a couple and although Lisa had never met her, she knew Belle would be a sweetheart because she knew her son.

"Good, yeah - I'm going to ring her after you actually" Taron leaned against the wall, looking down at his feet
"Well don't let me keep you, I'll speak to you soon - I love you!" She called and Taron smiled
"I love you too mum!"

He put the receiver down and picked it straight back up to dial Belle's mobile phone number. Since mentioning it to her dad, he had brought Belle a mobile and the first thing she did was give Taron her number.

"Hi, love!" Taron responded as soon as Belle picked up, "How are you?"
"Good! I miss you" Belle intoned with such love that Taron's cheeks turned a light shade of red for a reason he couldn't explain.
Belle had an effect on him that no one else seemed to.

The couple spoke for the best part of an hour, laughing, joking and seriously speaking about how each other's days had been.

"I'm so glad the play went well, I'll have to come up and see you play," Belle said
"I'd love it" Taron agreed, "I have to go now though, I'm working the afternoon shift"
"He's putting you on more hours now isn't he, he must like you"
"And I like a roof over my head"
"Knew you were going to say that" Belle  laughed and so did Taron, "Hope you're not flirting with anyone" Belle teased
"People are flirting with me, but I don't flirt back," Taron told Belle, referring to the new girl who he still didn't know the name of
"Don't blame them, you're a good looking guy"

"I don't think a compliment like that from your own girlfriend counts" Taron jokes

After a few more minutes of talking Taron really did need to go, his shift started in less than 10 minutes. It's a good job he works in the same place he lives, his timekeeping isn't the best.
"Alright, I really need to go now love"
"Okay, it's half term soon - you'll never get rid of me"
"Are you suggesting that you're going to come and stay with me?" Taron smirked
"Mm maybe"
Taron laughed, "Well I'll speak to you soon"
"I look forward to it, have a good shift"

Taron wanted to tell Belle that he loved her, but maybe it was too soon to say something like that.

Once he had put the phone down he raced to his room to get a shirt on and headed down to the bar area just in time.

"Looks like it's just me and you this afternoon" The new girl smirked as she poured a pint. She wasn't unattractive, she had long hazel brown hair that flowed halfway down her back and she had high cheekbones and piercing blue eyes - the perfect model.

"Yep, has anyone ordered food yet?" Taron asked, also getting behind the bar to check what they had and what they needed more of.

"No, they will soon though"
Taron just nodded and headed down to the basement to grab a few more bottles of ciders, some wine and more crisps - a job that the new girl didn't know how to do yet. Mike must've left the two on their own because he knew Taron could handle a Saturday afternoon on his own now. He'd most probably be back later on.

"Sorry, I never caught your name?" Taron said, furrowing his eyebrows as he watched said girl lean back with her back to the bar. The pub was relatively quiet, a happy medium of some doing things without it being too hectic.
"Charlotte" She smirked
"Taron" He nodded, but before he could say anything else he saw Sam walk in

"Taron!"
"Sam! How's it going, brother?"
"So this is where you work huh?" Sam admired the bar behind Taron with various spirits and fridges, "It's a nice pub"
"Yeah it's not bad, what can I get for you?"

Taron didn't know, but Charlotte watched him intently. The way he interacted with Sam and how he knew his way around the bar. Pouring the perfect pint with ease as he continued to talk.
She watched as he took the money and put it in the till she admired how his arms stretched his shirt a little bit and how contagious his smile was.

"So is this your girlfriend you've been talking about?" Sam gestured behind Taron to Charlotte who almost physically jumped out of her thoughts
"Oh, no - this is Charlotte, we just work together"
"Just work together, yeah" Same winked and Taron just shook his head smiling
"So how come you've come in alone?" Taron flipped the conversation, changing the subject quickly

"Just fancied a drink, get away from the roommates for a while" Sam looked down at his pint, rubbing his thumb over the cold wet glass as he thought for a minute. Taron felt like he should say something else, there was clearly more to it than that. But another customer came in and Charlotte was already serving someone so he had to walk away.

As the afternoon went on, Taron kept an eye on Sam. Serving him more pints when he finished one, getting quicker each time. He watched as Sam became drunker and when Sam called him over to order his eighth Taron refused.
"Look, mate, is everything alright?"
It's a little unusual to see a nineteen-year-old come into a bar alone and just stand at the bar and drink.
"Yeah, nah I'm good man" Sam waved him off, "Can I get a JD and coke?"
Taron sighed, "Do you think that's wise, it's only six o'clock"
"Look mate, if I want another drink you get me another fucking drink yeah" Sam slurred, "You're the barman, I'm the customer. Not get me a JD and coke" He slapped a ten-pound note on the table and Taron thought it would be best not to question it anymore.

He saw Sam differently after that, like an entitled prick.