42

With one hand stuffed in the pocket of his jeans and the other holding a cigarette, Taron made his way to the house at 6 o'clock. 

Lisa had told him to catch him between getting home from work and going to the pub.

The nerves gradually built up as he got closer to the street and then to the very house he knew he'd be. But he didn't want the fear he felt getting in the way of telling Phil where Lisa was and giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Just as he approached the door Taron saw Phil walk into the kitchen through the patterned glass panel in the door.

Shit.
Everything inch of his body wanted to turn back right then, but he knew he had to do it. He wasn't a little kid anymore, but that man had the power to make him feel like one.
If he didn't want Phil to have a hold on him anymore he needed to do this and that was the only thing keeping him from bottling it.

Reaching up to knock, he took a deep breath and knocked strongly - got to give him the right impression straight away.

As soon as he knocked he could see the dark figure approach the door and he gulped hard.
"Hello Phil," Taron said with a smug smirk on his face, the instant that door opened he switched back to Taron - the old Taron, the guy who wasn't scared of anything.
"I knew you'd come running back - the acting thing didn't work out?" Phil grinned, saying those words like Taron was five years old.
"Oh, the acting's going great Phil - Yeah just got a part in a Sky Drama. It'll be out early next year, you should watch it-"
"Listen to me you little shit" Phil grabbed Taron by the collar and pulled himself so close to him their noses were almost touching, "I don't give a shit about what you're up to, but you need to keep your nose out of mine and Lisa's lives from now on, yeah?" He spat.
Taron pushed him back so hard Phil nearly fell backwards into the house, "No, you listen to me - you're gonna stay out of mine and mum's life" Taron said, his jaw was clenched and his working-class accent came flooding back.
"I've had enough of you being around" Taron spat, lumbering into the house and backing Phil to the wall, "So's Lisa, she's moved out mate - left ya"
"Get the fuck away from me!" Phil pushed Taron so hard he fell into the small side table that sat next to the stairs.
"You're not gonna control us anymore, in fact - I'm gonna report you to the police" Taron got up effortlessly, the fall hurt like a bitch but he remained emotionless.
Phil scoffed, "About what, you've got nothing to go on"
"Bruises, on mum's arms. The bruises you've put on her. You're gonna pay for what you've done- what you've been doing all these years, did you really think you were gonna get away with-"
Phil swung and hit Taron right across the jaw.
"You fucking-" Taron swung back, hitting Phil in the chin.

What happened next was a blur, the two men relentlessly punched each other until eventually Phil caved and fell to the floor. He struggled to get back up and in that time Taron was on top of him, the blood from his broken nose dripping on Phil's face making him wince.
"You can't beat me up no more and you're never-" Taron put all his strength into a punch, "Going to lay" Another punch to the other side of his face, "A fucking finger" Another punch, "On my mum again" The last punch was enough to leave Phil unconscious and Taron was pleased with that. He got off the guy with a smirk on his face, he'd fought the person that beat him for years and won.

The now silent house was nothing but eery, yet all Taron could hear was the ringing in his ears. He stumbled through to the kitchen to clean himself up. Everything was hurting, but he couldn't care less. His mind was racing with ways of going to the police about Phil - how could he get enough evidence together to actually get Phil put away?

"Phil- Taron" Lisa's quiet voice echoed through the house and Taron immediately turned his back so Lisa couldn't see his face.
"Taron" Lisa repeated, this time with more urgency
"It's fine mum, I told him" Taron's voice was cold and it made Lisa take a step back. She could feel the rage radiating off her son and it scared her.
"You knocked him out" Lisa was in disbelief, she never thought Taron would do that much damage.

Taron still had his back to her and as much as he wanted to turn around he was reluctant to so his eyes stayed fixed on the window. He looked out at the garden he'd spent his childhood in, all those summers spent having 'family BBQ's'. 

"Taron, look at me"
So he slowly turned, keeping his eyes on the floor and Lisa let out a gasp in horror.
"Oh my- we need to get you to a hospital"