46

The room felt cold and Lisa felt so vulnerable. She tried her best to keep herself composed, but several times the officer had told her she was doing great and to take her time in telling her story.
There was something about being in a real-life interview room which made Lisa quiver, it made her feel like she had done something wrong and that she was trying to prove her innocence.

Only one officer was asking the questions, even though there were two of them; the only noise that came from the other officer was the scratching of his cheap biro on the notepad. Writing down every answer to her question, sometimes the officer would write something before she'd even said anything and that made her breath hitch.

The room was so quiet that Lisa could hear the blood rushing through her head; which only made her more on edge. She tried sipping some water from the small plastic cup they'd given her, but that only made her throat tighten. The hairs on the back of her neck were up and her senses were heightened. Every small noise made from the plastic chairs they were sat on made her eyes shift around the room.

Even though it was the most difficult thing she'd ever done, Lisa knew she was finally doing something about the hell she'd lived through for over ten years.

Telling the officers everything that had happened, all the little arguments, repeating the words Phil had said to her and relaying exactly what he'd done made Lisa realise just how bad her situation was. It made her realise just how desperate she'd become to find a way out and how severe what Phil had done was.

"Thank you so much for your cooperation, we can assure you that we are going to do all we can to protect you and your son and Phil's daughter, Mrs Whittaker" P.C Cooke offered a soft smile to a frightened-looking Lisa.
"Thank you" Lisa tried her best to return the smile, but her eyes were glazed over by the time they had finished all their questions. There were so many little details that they'd wanted and remembering those little details made everything so much more real. It felt as if her mind had just given up by the end.

"Now please, allow me to walk you out" Cooke stood up, signalling for Lisa to follow suit and walk out of the interview room with him; which she did.

Taron immediately stood up when Lisa came through the door, enveloping her in a hug before being ushered in himself.

The harsh lighting made Taron a little uneasy at first, but he did the best he could at answering all the questions the officers had. Including telling them about how he had beaten Phil up.

"And how long have you known Mr Whittaker?" Cooke furrowed his eyebrows, trying to piece together the case being presented to him.
"All my life. Mum- Lisa, married him when my dad passed away which was-" Taron thought for a second, he didn't even know when his mum remarried, "Well a long time ago, I never knew my dad" He said. Cooke nodded and Taron's eyes shifted to the unnamed officer writing everything down in a notepad.

The questioning continued for a while longer, Taron did the very best he could at answering honestly and was glad when he too finally got lead back to where Lisa was sat.

Cooke thanked the two for coming in and reassured them that they're going to open an investigation which will eventually lead to a court hearing. Although they can't put a date on it and they want Taron and Lisa to come in with anything else that may help them in their enquiries.
"If you think of anything, anything at all - please let us know, here are my contact details" Cooke handed Lisa a small card to which Lisa nodded.
"Thank you, officer" Taron tightly smiled and led Lisa out of the police station and back into the street. It felt like they'd just come out of a completely different world. Taron's eyes darted around the street, everything was normal. No one knew what they'd just done and they both sighed in relief at the same time.

"You did so well, mum" Taron put his arm around her and she smiled weakly
"Can I have one of your cigarettes" She looked up at him and he grinned

"I think you've earned it" Taron laughed, getting the pack out of his pocket and delicately handing her one.

The two walked back to their hotel, smoking a cigarette in silence. They were both too tired to converse, there was nothing either of them could say that would sound appropriate now.

The silence was the best option.