1

it's almost been a year since will byers left hawkins, indiana for new york city. his mother gave no notice that they were leaving. one day, they were living their normal life and then the next, they were on a train to a completely new place.

after moving to new york, he never really made any new friends. the friends he had back in hawkins wee enough. more importantly, his best friend mike was enough.

mike wheeler has been wills best friend for over nine years now but ever since will moved to new york, they hadn't talked even once. wills new apartment failed to have a phone and mike seemed to ignore wills radio calls.

but what will didnt know was that his radio wasnt transmitting correctly. mike wasnt ignoring him. but will would have never known that.

life in new york was not anything what joyce, wills mom, thought it would be. she thought that moving to a new city would give her family a fresh start. she thought that new york would be the perfect place to live a stressfree and happy life but boy, was she wrong.

getting a good paying job, let alone a job in general in new york was difficult. joyce worked in retail for a good eight months but the money she was making was not enough for their three bedroom apartment. jonathan attempted to work a part time job to help out but it didnt really do anything.

eventually, joyce got tired of working extra hours and decided that moving back to hawkins would be for the better.

"will grab your last box, the moving truck is leaving in ten minutes!" joyce called from down the hallway.

will didnt have a problem with leaving new york considering he never made any life long friends there. jonathan on the other hand had a new girlfriend and everything. when jonathan moved away, him and mike wheelers older sister had to break up.

it took a little over two months for him to officially get over it, but when he did he didnt take anytime to wait for a new girl. maya laird had been the girl that he was dating. they had been dating for a bit over seven months now but jonathan didnt seem to be in love.

sure, leaving her would be hard but he would get over her a hell of a lot easier than he got over nancy.

"baby, im gonna miss y-you so much" maya cried into jonathans chest. "baby, baby its gonna be okay, alright?"  jonathan replied leaving soft kisses on her forehead.

"promise to call everyday." she pleaded
"of course, everyday." he responded

"jonathan." his mother said sternly, looking at him as a signal that it was time to go.

after jonathan and maya said their goodbyes, the byers family all got into the movie truck and made their way back to the all too familiar town, hawkins.

-

"will, honey, wake up baby" the older woman of the household said, softly shaking her youngest son awake. "we're here" she softly smiled.

will slowly fluttered his eyes open, realizing that thry had arrived at their home in hawkins, the one that he had lived in before, his childhood home.

"m-mom, what're we doing here?" the young brunette wondered. "we got the house back, love."

a smile grew onto little byers face. he couldnt believe it. he thought that his childhood home would be gone forever now he's back. words couldnt describe the happiness he was feeling.
-
days after they moved in, they successfully unpacked all of their boxes. but unfortunately for will, his mother was making him go to school for the next five days that school was on for. after this week, school was bound to be out for the summer
break so will didnt understand why it was necessary that he went.

his mother just said that it would be a great opportunity to make new friends and rekindle some friendships.

going back to school today would mean that he would have to see mike, his best friend along with the party that came with him. was he ready for that?
-
wills pov
-
after basically rolling out of bed and stressing out about what i was going to wear, i made my way to school on my bike that i once fell off of the night that the demogorgon had taken me to the upside down.

it had quite literally been almost two years since that happened. although people would think that i would be over it, i certainly am not. ever since i had moved to new york, i had terrifying nightmares that haunted me every night.

i could never get a full nights sleep because of this. after shaking off the terrible feelings of my nightmares, i parked my bike in the bike rack and then walked into the all too familiar school.

i was attending the last week of my freshman year at hawkins high school. to say that i was nervous would have to be an understatement

i was extrememly nervous for multiple reasons. one, being that i was gonna finally see mike again. me and mike used to be inseperable. but that all changed when i was taken to the upside down.

just to think that when i was taken away for a week, mike grew to replace me. he found eleven. he did more than than just replace me. he forgot about me and then got a girlfriend.

after i was saved from the upside down, i was always secretly held a grudge on mike for abandoning me and immediately going to eleven for everything.

i would have never thought that being away from eachother for a week would cause us to fall apart. he was my best friend. my best freaking friend. but i guess, his girlfriend was just more important.

i got over my anger a while back, because now im just focused on the fact that i miss him.

-

as i walked into the school, the first block bell rang, signaling that everyone needed to be in class. great, i was late on my first day.

i quickly ran to my first period class, praying that the teacher hadnt closed the door yet. but as i made my way through the hallway, i ran into a larger body, mine only being 5'4 on a good day.

"shoot sorry." i said, looking down at my feet, not even bearing to look up to the person i had ran into.
"its all good" the person mumbled. the voice had sounded very similar, so i looked up and faced the person that i ran into,

"mike?"