• t w o •

Water fountain

Alec's POV

I was looking out the window of my apartment, guitar in a case next to me. I was holding the handle and drumming my fingers anxiously on my other hand.

Come on Alec, you can do it, you can do it I promise you've done it a million times.

I was trying to work up the courage to go outside and ask to sing for people. It's something I've done a hundred times but with my social anxiety, never gets easier.

I took a deep breath, and grabbed my guitar, walking out my door without looking back.

I went down to the lobby and out the door as I walked to Lincoln center.

(Y/N's POV)

I woke up the next morning, knowing I had about 17 new muscle knots in my back from sleeping on that crappy mattress.

I was glad I had packed a blanket in my carry-on.

Ok (y/n) I thought to myself. We're gonna go get some breakfast and then we're gonna go see Lincoln center. Mainly so we can sit by the fountain and make a thousand wishes that we can get into the NYU performing arts program.

My audition was in three months.

I put on some jeans, and a thin sweater and some converse before throwing my wallet and my phone into my backpack and walking out the door.

When I walked out of the lobby I put my earbuds in and shuffle played the album Narrated For You by the same dude that sang Annabelle's homework.

I've been fallin much more deep
Than I wanna
I've been wishin I could breathe
Underwater

I mean don't we all?

I hold my breath
I can't see what comes next
I don't know when
I'll see dry land again

I walked past a construction site and turned my music up louder, attempting to drown out the gross men catcalling me.

Another 40 days I'm lost at sea
I'm just gonna swim until you love me

One of them stood up so I walked a bit faster.

Hoping that your heart will rescue me
I'm just gonna swim until you love me

I turned a corner and they were gone. I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding.

I walked past Juilliard and saw the unmistakable, huge fountain at Lincoln center.

I went up and sat down on the edge of it as I pulled out a bag of coins and one by one started dropping them in.

Alec's POV

I wasn't sure who to ask. Everyone looked so preoccupied.

I walked up and around the fountain. I saw a woman holding a baby, a man in a suit on a conference call, a couple staring at the fountain and

A girl.

She had her eyes closed, fixated on a thought, a dream perhaps? She looked like a dreamer.