Chapter 3

When I woke up, the light was still on. It was 4:30 am.

I changed into some pants, a button up, blue sweater. I pinned my hair into a bun and stuffed my book bag with my notebook, current manuscript, some leather gloves, and some pencils.

I ate an apple and drank tea brimming with excitement until it was 5:00 am. Jack knocked on my balcony door and I nearly knocked him over when opening the door.

"G'mornin'. You're real excited this mornin' aren't ya?" He smiled. I giggled smiling eagerly. He took my hand in his  and we climbed down the ladder. Why he never used the front door I'll never understand.

He grabbed his ladder walking over to my lamp and turning it off. We put the ladder on the back of the bicycle.

He patted the seat on the bike and I got on a huge silly grin on my face.

"Alright 'ere we go". He took my hands in his and put them on the handlebars, I felt a blush in my cheeks. He instructed I put my feet on the pedals. I felt myself tipping but he steadied me and I started pedaling my feet. He walked beside holding up the bike.

I was laughing and when I was ready he let go. I sped off down the street. He was racing behind me both of us laughing our heads off. I was turning around to come back. I couldn't quite figure out how to do it and I crashed into the grass. Jack came racing up from behind.

I faked a pout and started "crying"

Jack ran up, he was hugging on me from behind. I resorted to turning and tickling him to the ground.  Both of us red from laughter.

Jack eventually was able to flip us so he was on top, proudly pinning me with his legs. He helped me back up and then taught me how to turn and brake.

"Alright giv' it another go" he said giving me a push to get started.

I figured it out pretty quickly riding circles around him.

"You're a natural lov'" he grinned at me. When I had finished he climbed on to the bike letting me pedal and steer while he put out lamps. It was a lot of fun! We were laughing and singing at the top of our lungs, earning strange looks from those around us.

Jack had wrapped his arms around my torso to stay on. We saw another lamplighter, "Hey Angus!" Jack calling out, gently asking me to stop. I  stopped and led the bike up beside Jack. Angus walked over and exchanged a hug with Jack. Angus was shorter than him with curly black hair, small brown eyes, and a thin brown mustache on his upper lip. He wore a similar outfit to Jack with a green vest, and no jacket. 

"Who's this?" Angus asked pointing at me. He had a friendly smile. "Angus this here is Julia." Jack waved me closer, and I shook hands with Angus.

"I've heard lots 'bout you ma'am" Angus said.

"Really" I asked raising an eyebrow. "Oh yea, Jackie boy can't shut up  'bout ya!"

Jack blushed. I smiled at them. "'ave you finished your rounds yet?" Angus asked. Jack shook his. "Nah we've got two more streets left." "Alrighty, well you best get goin' Jack". "Pleasure to meet ya miss" Angus said tipping his cap.

Jack and I climbed back on the bike. We finished our route at 17 Cherry Tree Lane. There was a house with a Repossession Notice on it.

Jack turned out the light as I looked around. Inside the house was a thin man, with dark brown hair and a mustache. He was talking to his 3 children. Two of them looking the same age. "Who are they" I asked pointing out the children.

"That's the banks family. I was friends with those kids father and aunt when I was younger." I nodded in understanding.

We decided to walk around the park. Just talking I guess.