Chapter 5

Jack and I raced inside the tent hands still woven together. He ran up to the front row. Mary Poppins and the Banks children sat there.

There were animals everywhere. Flamingos, whales, penguins, lions, tigers, and bears!

"OH MY" Annabel shouted looking around!

There were some flamingos on stage singing and dancing. Jack grabbed my hand and pulled me back stage.

He handed me a purple and pink striped dress. With a pink bowler hat, and purple cane. "Here c'mon get changed. I'll be right back."

I giggled as he left. I couldn't manage to get my dress off. I heard Jack as he walked onstage there was cheering, he waved, a big dorky grin on his face.

"It is my great honor to bring you this evening's renowned guest. The one. The only. MARY POPPINS!!"

I heard cheers and claps as Mary came up on stage. She was smiling and laughing to the crowd.

There were shouts in the audience.

"SING FOR US MARY POPPINS"

"C'mon Sing!!"

"SING! SING! SING"

"Oh no I couldn't possibly!

"Oh c'mon give it a go!" Jack said.

"No I haven't sung in years!" She protested.

"Please, Mary Poppins! Please please please!" Some penguins from behind stage asked.

Mary looked around flustered. "Oh, no I can't" she looked at the concert director.

"D-Flat major."

As she started singing Jack rushed off stage and he saw me. "Why haven't you gotten dressed. "I can't get this off" I complained pointing at he corset on my back. "I need you to un tie it."

Jack blushed. Untying it for me.

He ran back to a dressing room while I changed into the pink and purple ruffled dress. I took a look in the mirror. "You look stunning" I heard a voice say. I twirled around to see Jack standing there. 

He was wearing striped pants like me. With a pink tail coat and purple vest. "You don't look so bad yourself" I said blushing at him. "C'mon we're about to go on" he said leading the way. We watched Mary Poppins who was now wearing a dress like mine.

She walked over to a cardboard tree and sang,

"Nellie Rubina was made of wood
But what could not be seen was though
Her trunk up top was barren
Well, her roots were lush and green
So in Spring when Mr Hickory saw her blossoms blooming there
He took root despite her bark
And now there's seedlings everywhere"

Jack and I ran out and joined in as we started on the next verse.

"Which proves
A cover is not the book
So open it up and take a look
'Cause under the covers one discovers
That the king may be a crook
Chapter titles are like signs
And if you read between the lines
You'll find your first impression was mistook
For a cover is nice
But a cover is not the book"

We were kicking and swinging our canes about. "Should we do the one about the wealthy widow?" Jack asked.

"Oh by all means" Mary sang.

"Always loved that one" I called out walking like the other two.

We all stood on a book as Jack sang,
"Lady Hyacinth Macaw
Brought all her treasures to a reef"