Chapter 6

I woke up and walked out to my balcony. The sky was blue the wind was blowing. I waited for my lamplighter to drive by. But he didn't come.

I felt disappointed but kept waiting.

At some point I went inside, curling up in a book trying to cheer myself up. There was a knock at my window. I rushed to it hoping it was Jack. I pulled open the doors hoping to be met by my favorite pair of chocolate brown eyes.

I wasn't. It was Angus.

"Angus? What are you doing here." I asked genuinely puzzled.

"Just deliverin' a message." He pulled out a piece of paper. There was a note scribbled on it.

I read it to myself,

"Hey Jules, I'm real sick, so that's why I'm not here right now. Believe me if I was good I would be holdin' you in my arms right now.

But I'm not. So I sent Angus to tell you. With Love, Jack."

"Ohh" I said to myself.

Angus tipped his cap. "G'day ma'am."

"Wait" I said as he climbed over the balcony.

"I have something for him."

I ran to my kitchen and grabbed three things my Alice in Wonderland book,  a big pot of my soup he had loved so much, and a thermos with some earl gray tea in it.

I ran back to Angus. "Can I come be with him?" I asked knowing I didn't have work until tomorrow.

"I don't know if that's best." He said.

"I don't care about getting sick. Please just let me see him."

He scratched his head. And then groaned. "Alright fine"

I climbed down the ladder and got onto Angus's bike. He rode me to where the leerie's lived.

It was near the middle of London. They lived in an abandoned warehouse. There were small end tables and beds where they slept. Small suitcases were their only possessions. My heart broke at the situation. I felt awful. They didn't have enough for real warm food. Or a blanket when they were cold. And there I was in a house too big for one, with all I could ever need.

I was on the verge of tears.

The leerie's all had the same look in their eyes. I felt terrible. Some greeted Angus. They seemed like a happy bunch. All of them dancing and laughing together.

They welcomed me.

"Who's she?" One asked.

"This is Jack's lady." Angus said clapping me on the back. I waved sheepishly.

"So she's actually real" one shouted causing me to chuckle.

Angus introduced me to a couple, Nicholas, Curtis, Michael, Will, Charles, Robert, and Phillip.

"C'mon Jack's this way." Angus said leading me away from the crowd.

There was a part of the warehouse they had turned into a med-bay.

There was a man with silver hair, he wore a white coat. "This here is Doc. He kinda runs this whole place. " Angus said introducing me.

"Who's this Angus? Another one of your girlfriends you're bound to scare off."

"No! This is Julia."

He looked shocked. "Julia, Julia?"

"The one and only" I said shaking his hand.

"My dear, Ol' Jackie has told us all about you. If you ever need a place to stay you're welcome here."

"Thank you"

"Now I'm sure you're here to see him" he asked. I nodded squeezing my book into my chest. "Right this way" he led me through an area. There was a curtain, a small bed, end table. It was the only area that was shut off from the rest of the warehouse.

"I'll leave you with him" Jack said opening a door and letting me in.

Jack was laying in bed. He was wearing only a white undershirt. His hair was messy and disheveled. He smiled up at me as I approached his still form.

"'ello lov'el'y."

I sat in the chair next to the bed. He reached over placing a hand on my cheek pulling me towards so I could kiss him. I smiled into his touch. "Jack. I was thinking, since you're over all the time. Why don't you come live with me? I've got a spare room. And it's so lonely in the house. And it breaks my heart to see you in a place like this."

He looked up to me. "I would like nothing better".

I gave him the soup and tea. "Ohh. What've I don to deserve ya?" He said smiling contently.

"It's the other way around mister" I said kissing his forehead and pulling out my book.

"I figured. My father read to me when I was sick so I decided I would read to you."

"That sounds wonderful"

I opened it up to where we left off and I read to him until he dosed off. I grabbed my dishes, kissed his forehead, and walked home, a smile on my face the whole way home.

*a little shorter today. But I thought it was a cute chapter.*