Chapter 9

*About 1 week later*

Jack walked in handing me the mail, mostly things from catalogs. I flipped through. Bill, catalog, bill, bill, letter. My name was written in tiny neat handwriting. I looked at who it was from.

Octavia Brooks. My mother.

I was waiting for this piece of mail.

About a week ago I wrote a letter to mum, saying,

"Dear Mom,

I know you said no contact. But this is important. I have a boyfriend. His name is Jack and he really wants to meet you, and Will, and Amelia. I may never even get a response from this but, I need to let you know.

I think I'm in love with him. Like you were with Dad. Please. Just give him a chance.

Your daughter, Jules."

Jack gave me a reassuring glance.

We sat at the kitchen table. He grabbed my hand in his own. I took a deep breathe, and opened the envelope. I pulled out the parchment. And read aloud,

"Dear Julia,
I would love to meet this Jack if yours. I know it has been awhile. And I've done some things I'm not so proud of. Especially after your father passed, God rest his soul.

It's been too long, and I'm sure Amy and Will would love to see their big sister.

Well. Come back home, we can meet up April 2nd, 6:30 for dinner at the house.

I'm sorry Julia. For everything. See you soon.
Love Mum"

I closed up the letter. "Pardon me love. But April 2nd. That's today." Jack noted.

"Well I guess we better get dressed."

He stood and walked me to my room, I kissed his cheek before telling him. "You might want to get cleaned up. Mom can be really judgmental."

"Love, it's fine. Besides. She should know, a cover's not the book." He smirked walking away whistling the song.

I laughed and shut myself into my room.

I changed into a pale pink dress. It had a white belt, and went with white gloves and a gray beret. I put my hair up, and put on some sandals. I checked how I looked and went to meet Jack in the Parlor. He was wearing dark grey pants, a matching suit jacket and a white button up. He had shaved away his stubble, and combed his normally messy hair.

"Wow" he breathed.

"What?" I asked grabbing a pearly white clutch.

"It's just. You look Wow."

I blushed.

He smirked. "Might I 'ave the 'onor to take such a beau'i'ful lady to dinner"

I giggled, wrapping my arm around his elbow. "That you may sir"

Jack led me to his bike. He let me sit in front of him. Wrapping his arms around my waist and onto the handlebars. We rode mostly in silence and I let him rest his head on my bare shoulder.

When we arrived it was about 6:27. Right on time.

Jack parked the bike. And we walked up to the doorstep. It was a beautiful house, white marble columns, big open windows, gardens maintained by my mother, who never let me anywhere near them. I took a deep breathe.

Jack faced me. "Hey, it's alright darlin'." He put his hand on my cheek. "We'll be fine." He pressed a soft kiss to my forehead.

"Ok". I rung the doorbell twice, and took a step back. There was some scuffling and an old woman with frizzy grey hair opened the door. I recognized her immediately.

"Angela?"

"Why, Miss Julia." I wrapped her in a big hug. She was my nanny when I was a kid. She was more of a mother then mom ever was.

"Why who is this handsome lad?"

I smiled. "Miss Angela this is Jack. My boyfriend"

She pulled Jack into a hug. "Well hello dear. You ever need anything you ask me eh?"

He smiled and said, "Duly noted ma'am"

We walked inside the beautiful home. My sister came barreling down the stairs. "JULIE!" She squealed.

I jumped into my sister's arms. She was only a year younger than me, but she was my best friend as a kid.

"Oh my gosh! We missed you so much!" She whispered into my chest.

She moved from me to Jack squeezing him to death. "Hi! I'm Amelia, but people call me Amy, and you must be Jack"

"Pleasure to meet you" he hugged her back.

"I like him" Ames whispered shouted at me. Causing me to giggle. Jack wrapped an arm around my waist. I kissed his temple when another man came down the stairs. I didn't recognize him.

"Hi Bunny!" Amy squealed.

The man kissed my sister's forehead. "Good Evening" he said to Jack and I.

"Who's this Amy?" I asked.

She took a breathe and looked at me. "Julie this is my fiancé Michael"

My mouth fell open in shock. Will came down later. He was the youngest out of us 3. I was 23, Amy was 22, and Will was 19.

I introduced Jack to everyone. And we all got along great. At dinner Mom bombards Jack with questions. He held my hand the whole way through dinner, our ankles wrapped around each other.

When dinner was over I walked into the kitchen to wash up dishes. Mom and Jack were still talking, Will had gone out, Amy was busy with something, and Angela had gone to bed.

Micheal walked into the kitchen. I looked to make sure I could still see Jack not feeling too great.

Micheal stood beside me. "Hi"

"Hello"

"You're really pretty" he commented.

I raised an eyebrow. "Uh thanks"

"What's a gorgeous woman such as yourself doing with a street rat like him"

"Umm. Excuse me?" I asked a little confused.

"You heard me"

He moved closer making me face him.

"Michael you're engaged."

"I couldn't be."

"Stop. Amy loves you"

"Well I don't. Can't stand the bitch"

I furrowed my eyebrows in anger.

"I'm already with someone" I said trying to push him off me.

"What him? That piece of shit you call a lover."

"Excuse me?! I love him"

"Uh huh."

He grabbed my cheek. "Stop!"

I tried to pull away. He kissed me, o did everything I could to pull away from him.

I heard footsteps. I looked over to see Jack. His mouth open. Eyes tearing up. He threw his plate on the floor and walked away. "JACK" I screamed.

"What the hell is wrong with you" I slapped Michael. Then kicked him in the groin for good measure.

But I ran for Jack. Praying I wasn't going to loose him forever.

*Ooof. I actually like this chapter. I know we didn't need it but we need conflict!!

Anyways what are you guys thinking! I can't believe we're almost at a hundred reads!!  So awesome! Leave a vote and a comment! Love you!

~~M*