four

chapter four:
welp, zion found out

eventually charlotte gave up on finding a wrong in brandon's newly exposed relationship and decided to go home

eventually charlotte gave up on finding a wrong in brandon's newly exposed relationship and decided to go home. maggie took a little longer to leave. she continued to stare at the pair with mixed emotions. when seeing brandon occasionally smile up at austin, she couldn't help but think they looked perfect for one another. it only filled her disappointment further. if brandon and austin truly like each other, who is she to get in the middle of them? brandon and her never worked out anyway. she should have just listened to everyone else and never involved herself with him. her friends warned her he would do nothing but break her heart; and at the sight before her she could feel the cracking already. so all she did was bite her lower lip and hope they weren't able to see how upset she was.

"i'm happy for you two, really" she forced a grin. austin seen right through her and frowned. he then looked at brandon who stared off with his own blank expression.

fake dating him suddenly felt so wrong.

"thanks" austin nodded. maggie mocked his action before turning on her heels and scurrying off. even though she left, the tension hanging was still very thick. and austin hated the feeling. "come on, i have work and this is the perfect place to discuss a few rules about this whole pretend boyfriend thing."

brandon was intrigued and immediately put his attention on austin.

"rules?"

"yeah, rules. if we're dating you really need to learn your boundaries" austin admitted. nobody would believe them if brandon continued to flirt with other people. "i can't have my boyfriend making out with other people in the bathroom between classes."

brandon glared at him.

"that was one time!" austin raised his eyebrows in surprise. he didn't think brandon would admit to such thing. "and it was hardly a make out. she was practically swallowing me while i tried to gasp for air" he explains sheepishly. austin rolled his eyes.

"let's go. i'm late" the older of the two then grabbed hold of brandon's wrist and started walking back towards the school gate. of course the dark brunette protested as he was basically being dragged.

"but my car!"

"we'll come back for it later."

"but what if someone steals it?"

austin had to take a deep breath. brandon was a lot more difficult than he expected. he was childish. the complete opposite from how he portrays himself at school. everyone always gossips about him being some tough guy who is slick with his words and rarely shows emotion. and at first austin believed the rumors. but now when seeing him complain about a car, those rumors were thrown out the window.

austin could already tell the two wouldn't be seeing eye to eye very often.

the two walked down the street to the corner. on the corner was a little cafe. it was splattered with different colors and patterns. it made the rest of the street look bland and boring. austin smiled at the sight while brandon raised a brow. they looked at each other, austin then being the one to push the door open and enter. brandon quickly followed behind soon taking in the vibrant scenery. paintings filled with crazy pictures covered the walls and multiple people filled the circular tables. the aroma of vanilla and cinnamon filled his nostrils and brandon swears it's his new favorite scent. he practically awed at the new sight wondering why he hasn't been in the cafe sooner. austin grabbed hold of brandon's hand and gently guided him around the multiple tables. and the younger smiled when seeing austin interact with a few older customers confidently. he seemed like a different person.

brandon enjoyed this austin more already.

the two went through a silver door. it lead to a small room that had a row of lockers aligning one wall and then what seemed to be a tiny office on the other side. a few of his co-workers stared at the two curiously before turning their heads and continuing to chat amongst themself.

"i um, i have to wait a few tables, but if you follow me around we can still talk" austin spoke as he went over to one of the many lockers. brandon watched him patiently, rocking back and forth on his heels awkwardly.

"yeah, if you want. or i could just wait until your break? or until your shift is over?" brandon suggested. he trained his eye on austin who now pulled out a black shirt and apron that held a notepad and straws. austin removed his shirt, brandon biting the inside of his cheek at the sight. he won't lie and say austin wasn't the smallest bit of attractive. brandon just wasn't into guys.

"that works too. my break is in about an hour" he slipped the black shirt over his head and tucked it into his jeans. brandon bit down harder on his cheek. "just wait for me at one of the tables and i'll come to you when i'm done" he finished as he wrapped the apron around his waist. brandon nodded along. austin too nodded in confirmation. the two were just about to exit the small room when someone walked in.

it was zion.

"i knew i seen you walk in!" the two did a brotherly hug. "why the hell are you so late? just wait until your mom hears" zion snickers. austin playfully shoved his shoulder.

"she won't know unless you tell her."

the two continued to converse as if they haven't seen each other in days. and when growing abandoned brandon cleared his throat. the pair quit talking to put their attention on him. brandon clicked his tongue as he looked at zion. the dread-headed teen eyed him back.

"right, you know brandon" austin then said. he was yet again quite.

"who doesn't? he's practically the school's whore" zion snickered.

"why you..." brandon trailed as he went to tackle the other. sadly for him austin got in front and blocked him from attacking zion. with a scoff he settled with glaring daggers. "he just called me a whore! why are you defending him!?"

brandon seemed genuinely upset.

"yes what he said was rude, and he should apologize..." austin nudged zion in the side. the taller rolled his eyes and turned away. "but he's my friend."

brandon shoved austin in the chest.

"and!? i'm your boyfriend!"

"he's your what!?" zion yelled. austin went red in the face. he doesn't know if he's allowed to tell him anything. even if he so badly wants to.

brandon stops raging to smirk in glory.

"can we not do this here? people are staring" austin asked. and indeed there were people watching the three. it was the extra co-workers. zion shook his head aggressively. austin doesn't know why he was so mad. he should be happy for him.

"no. you're going to explain why you're with this dumbass!"

brandon was going to jump on zion yet again but was stopped by austin. the younger squirmed in his hold, obviously wanting to be let go; yet even without his freedom he continued to shout just as rude comments back.

"can you two stop!? you should have no reason to be fighting right now" austin blurts. brandon and zion quit their bickering and send deadly stares instead. austin takes a deep breath, suddenly feeling a headache growing. after everything that had happened, he feels as though it was almost natural. "brandon and i are dating. and before you protest about how bad of a person he is, i just want you to know i don't care. i like him a lot" it hurt to say it.

zion blankly stared at his best friend. brandon smiled cheekily while wrapping his arms around austin's waist. it was clear to everyone that he was being cocky.

"but that also doesn't give you the right to be rude either, brandon" austin said next. the younger slightly dropped his jaw before recompiling himself. it was zion's turn to grin. brandon pressed himself closer to austin and stuck his tongue out at zion. the taller flipped him off. "okay now that, that is settled—zion and i have to work. wait for my break?" austin said to brandon. he sighed but agreed.