five

chapter five:
the rules

brandon sighed as he shut his phone off

brandon sighed as he shut his phone off. he's been sitting in the same spot for over a hour. austin occasionally asked if he wanted anything, and the younger said no every time. all he really wanted was to talk to austin. he wanted to understand their situation better. he wanted to hear the rules austin came up with. but all he did was sit and wait. he would entertain himself the tiniest by calling zion over to only create a mess he had to clean. seeing the irritated look the tan male always displayed was hilarious. clearly the two wouldn't be getting along any time soon; but it was honestly fine. brandon doesn't plan on hanging on to austin after their relationship ends. it's all a stunt between two people who are considered completely different. he had no reason to continue to be friends with austin.

"mom, i'm going on break!" a familiar voice shouts. and in reply a women shouts back to confirm.

brandon shifts his view to his new supposed boyfriend. he watched as austin smiled one last time at a couple before turning around. he looked at brandon with a tiny grin, smoothly striding over to him. at the attention of the other, brandon sits straight and shakes his dark messy hair out. and once austin places himself in a seat in front of him, brandon gave a smile. he leaned forward the slightest and put his head in his hands.

"are you sure you don't want anything to eat—drink?" austin spoke. he quickly glanced over the younger's form. brandon eagerly shook his head. he waited a hour for this talk, yet nothing interesting was being said "alright, well then i can get straight to the point and tell you the rules for this relationship" they both cringed at his words.

brandon quickly recovered though and smirked.

"oh please do. please tell me the rules."

austin rolled his eyes. brandon flicked him in the forehead for such gesture, causing the other to groan.

"keep rolling your eyes and they'll fall out" brandon snickered. austin cracked his own grin. it fell soon after as he stuck one finger up.

"rule one: no romantic or sexual interaction with anyone else but each other. because we all know how you can't control yourself" austin states. brandon crossed his arms with a frown.

"i don't know why you're looking at me as if i'm the only one who will do it" brandon mumbles. austin looked back at him intrigued.

"who else will, brandon? no one likes me."

"you're an idiot! the second zion makes any type of move on you, you're practically on your knees. he's got you wrapped around his finger. it won't be long before you're fucking in the school bathrooms" brandon seemed to get upset with each word. austin went red in the face from embarrassment.

"rule two: we cannot tell anyone that this is all-" austin lowered his voice. "fake."

brandon clicked his tongue.

"no shit sherlock."

austin frowned at his attitude.

"rule three: we will attend to each other's needs and important events. in order to keep up the presentation of a loving couple who has been together for at least five months, we need to act like it" austin said flatly. "do you have any events in the next few weeks?"

"no. never joined any clubs or activities. you?" brandon answered.

"yes actually. our school's annual art club will be displaying all work in the park next tuesday. plus zion is performing" austin replies effortlessly. brandon yawns at the thought of going. "it's a lot more fun than you think. i promise you'll enjoy it."

"yeah, yeah..." brandon trailed before he suddenly perked in his seat. "i have a rule" he grinned. austin watched him clearly interested in what was about to be thrown at him. "rule four: this will be a no strings attached relationship."

austin began to chuckle in his seat before it shifted into a full laugh. brandon narrowed his eyes at the older. it was a serious rule, yet clearly austin wasn't understanding that. his laughter died down when he noticed brandon wasn't showing any sign of amusement.

"oh you were serious."

"yeah i was serious! we don't need feelings getting in the middle of all of this. it's only going to get harder if they do intervene" brandon states. austin grins at how sober brandon sounded. it was the most adult he has ever acted.

"brandon, i promise i'm not going to end up falling in love with you."

"i don't know...i'm pretty charming" brandon began to smile once more. it made austin's grin widen as that was the brandon he had already grown used to.

"you're going to have an even bigger head by the end of this relationship" austin jokes. brandon scoffed at him, grabbing at his head and explaining it was a normal size.

the two teasing and laughing at each other made a few heads turn towards them. to everyone else they seemed like a normal teenager couple. austin's mother even smiled at the pair. she didn't know who brandon was to austin, but she sure was loving the sight of them together. and when zion finally told her the two were dating, she was surprised. she knew austin preferred males over females, but she didn't expect he would finally be able date one with how shy he usually is.

brandon's phone had gone off with a message. he easily pulled it out to see it was a text from his mother wanting him home. brandon didn't want to go home though. either way he stood to his feet, shoving his phone back into his pocket. he pouted and austin couldn't help but think he looked cute.

"that was my mom. i have to head home now" austin stood too, walking him towards the cafe doors.

"let me walk you back to your car. i still have a few minutes left of my break" austin suggested. brandon chuckled as he shook his head.

"no, i'll be fine. see you tom-hey! we have a science test on friday, could you help me study? i mean you're my boyfriend, it's your job to help" brandon suddenly sprouted. austin playfully rolled his eyes at his enthusiasm.

"sure."

"great" brandon tilted his head a little to gently place his lips against austin's. and when they pulled apart they hated how amazing it felt. "you really need to stop rolling your eyes babe" brandon whispered as he cheekily smiled at the other. austin returned the look before connecting their lips once again.

brandon broke the kiss, winking and then exiting the cafe.