seven

chapter seven:
a class chapter

"and with that being said, we will be doing a project" the teacher announced to the class

"and with that being said, we will be doing a project" the teacher announced to the class. at the sudden news it was expected to get a few groans. their teacher rolled his eyes at their immaturity. "this will be a partner project-" the class began to cheer. "but don't get too excited, i'll be picking your partners" all students once again gave disapproving words. their teacher even mumbled incoherent phrases along the lines of quitting. "once i say your assigned partner, one of you will pick from the bowl on my desk for what type of artwork you will be doing."

the class agreed to his terms. austin of course hated the idea of working alongside someone. no one in his class even liked him. his luckiest bet would be brandon; but even then he believes he would be doing most of the work. austin sighed as he prepared himself for what was about to come.

"brandon and billie" austin cursed to himself. "jack and michael. jade and ansley..." austin didn't even bother to listen to the listed names, when he was finally called. "edwin and austin" he immediately perked in his spot, fear striking through him. he looked up from desk and towards the person who sat only a few desks over. edwin didn't look too pleased himself.

"mr cowell, i actually believe i would work a lot better with austin than edwin" the obnoxious voice of brandon spoke up. austin smiled at his so called boyfriend; enjoying the attempt to change their teacher's mind. but considering it was mr cowell, there was no way partners will be switched.

"yeah...no" their teacher grinned before frowning. brandon rolled his eyes before crossing his arms. mr cowell then went back to calling the pairs.

austin stood from his seat, almost tripping over his own two feet as he made his way towards the teacher's desk. the brunette grabbed a slip of paper to see it read: abstract painting. he snickered at the topic, knowing he perfected such type of art. he frowned soon after when remembering who his partner was.

austin turned back around to his rightful place in the back of the class, brandon grabbing his hand before he had gotten too far.

"i tried" he whispered. austin nodded at his words, leaning down to place a gentle peck against his cheek.

"thanks" he then looked at the female beside brandon who had ash grey hair. she was quiet and only grinned when they locked eyes. austin returned the look.

he continued his way back to his desk, edwin already hovering over it with crossed arms and a scowl. austin lowered his head, gently sliding the small slice of paper in his direction. edwin only clicked his tongue as he read the words over. and for a brief moment there was a genuine smile spread out across his lips and a spark shining in his eye. and even if austin didn't know edwin all too well, he could already tell he preferred the admirable side who had poked through for only a split second. and once the two looked at one another, edwin was yet again holding a blank stare as if he didn't want to be there. austin couldn't blame him though. edwin who was popular and obviously good-looking had to work with someone who fell lower on the food chain. austin wouldn't want to work with himself either.

"where do you want to do this?" edwin suddenly spoke. his tone wasn't filled with sass, nor did he look to be annoyed. although he did seem to be embarrassed; as if he didn't want austin to know how excited he actually was for the project.

"we could at my house? i have all of the supplies we would need" austin suggested. edwin nodded at his words, holding his hand out. the older looked at him with confusion. "w-what?"

"your phone idiot" there his attitude was again. and when hearing how easily irritated he quickly became, austin scrambled to take his personal cell phone out. he placed it within edwin's grasp, the younger quickly typing his own number in. and once he was done, he went back towards his desk with no other words spoken. austin didn't know whether he should be relived or slightly frightened.

luckily the class bell had rung out, allowing austin to leave and no longer feel trapped. he gathered his few belongings, rushing to exit the room. he discarded the many shouts from brandon, focusing his attention on finding zion. at times zion was the only person he could turn to if he was feeling overwhelmed. and the second he was told he was partners with edwin, austin couldn't help but feel anxious. he could feel his hands shake and thoughts run wild. he had no idea what edwin might do or say.

"austin! austin wait!"

the taller kept his head low as he smoothly slid past the many bodies. brandon was hot on his trail, occasionally bumping into someone and losing track. but just as the two reached the end of the hall where zion was spotted talking to someone, brandon grabbed hold of austin's wrist and yanked him back. the older flinched at the contact. he chewed the inside of his cheek as he darted his eyes at everything and everyone who wasn't brandon. and it was just another thing the younger could check off for things that annoyed him.

"austin look at me" he only tapped his fingers against his leg. "austin look at me right now!" this time austin looked at him, clear fear flashing through his eyes. "austin baby, what's wrong?"

at the nickname, the older shook his head with a snicker.

"don't act like you care."

"w-what?" brandon stumbled. he didn't expect for austin to suddenly be so upset. he seemed fine only a few minutes ago.

"brandon, you don't have to worry about me. and it's not like you really do" he got closer. "we might be dating, but there are-"

brandon grabbed hold of his chin, forcing their faces to be so close their breaths mixed. it took austin by surprise.

"i will worry if i want. yeah, this entire relationship might be-" he stopped to see if any of the students were listening in on them. he continued when seeing no one. "fake. but that doesn't mean i can't be there for you. now tell me why you're so antsy."

brandon's dominant demeanour and their close proximity made austin swallow hard. he even flicked his view down towards the younger's lips, almost instantly looking him right back in the eye. he won't let brandon get the best of him. he removed himself from the other's grasp, sighing.

"i really don't need to tell you anything. i dealt with my problems before without you" he began to take steps back. "so i sure as hell don't need you now" he fully turned around, jogging to catch up with zion. brandon called out for him once again, stomping his foot when not getting any response back. instead all he got was a view of austin cuddling up to zion against the lockers, spilling his thoughts so easily. the sight stung.

why can't austin open up to me?

the thought forced brandon to frown. he looked away from the duo and went to to his next class alone.

-

this chapter was ass. oh well.

-nevaeh