nineteen

chapter nineteen:
what's an update?

austin kept his hood up on his head, ear buds placed tightly in his ears at maximum volume

austin kept his hood up on his head, ear buds placed tightly in his ears at maximum volume. his hands were comfortably tucked in the sweater pockets as his sharpie colored sneakers left wet trail marks behind him with every step. no one knew it was going to rain that gloomy thursday morning—the sudden dark skies and heavy droplets landing on the ground creating a rather upsetting scenery. to austin he enjoyed it. it seemed to match his emotions perfectly; and not just because him and brandon decided to part ways. no he felt such way all the time. but maybe it was because of the smile he always shown? no one really paid attention to him anyway. no one will notice he looked a little extra sad.

the light brunette was only strolling over to his locker when a large arm had swung itself over his shoulders. immediately austin removed an ear bud and turned his head to see who greeted him so aggressively. his frown only deepened when he seen zion smiling brightly at him. zion dropped his smile and stared at austin confusingly.

"i thought we moved past you being mad at me?" zion questioned. he didn't get an answer out of his best friend. instead austin turned his back on him and went back to finding his locker. zion rolled his eyes with a sigh. "you seriously still can't be upset?" austin was now putting away a few text books he didn't need. "dude, the silent treatment isn't cool! you cannot be this mopey about brandon!? no one should actually! shit, he moved onto that chick...maddie i think? which means you need to move on too."

austin stopped the rustling through his locker and finally faced his best friend with a different expression. his eyebrows were furrowed as he eyed over zion's features. the features he grew to admire. but for some reason they didn't look the same. his brown eyes didn't hold a sparkle, and his goofy smile didn't make austin buckle in the knees. zion looked like everyone else and austin was genuinely baffled on why.

"what?" the light brunette wondered quietly.

"yeah...i saw the two practically swallowing each other not too long ago" zion rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms. "he's just as i predicted all along. a man-whore" zion then placed his hands on austin's shoulders and squeezed. "he didn't deserve you aus. even if what y'all had was fake."

the older of the two shoved his hands away, hurt flashing across his face.

"i-i have to go."

austin slammed his locker shut before quickly dashing down the hallway. he almost tripped over his own feet a couple of times, blaming the wet floors for the close mishaps. and while rushing he had accidentally bumped shoulders with someone, his bag falling off and crashing to the floor, multiple papers scattering. fellow students began to stare as austin tried his hardest to gather all of his school work. the person he bumped into muttered something as he helped collect the work. austin wanted to apologize for the run in, so looking up he started to fumble over his words. those same words were trapped in his throat the second he recognized the slim figure.

slowly tears began to burn the edges of his eyes. the person who he could only identify as brandon finally looked up too and they made that painful eye contact. instead of gathering his things austin stood to his feet and stumbled his way out of the hallway. the tears fell effortlessly, everyone watching him leave until he was no where in sight.

brandon stood to his feet just to be knocked down again.

"what the fuck man!?" he shouted up towards an angry zion.

"what the hell did you do to him!?"

everyone began to gather around ready to see a fight.

"nothing!" brandon got back up on his feet. "he started crying and then left!" zion wasn't buying it and forcefully grabbed brandon by the collar of his shirt. he brought their faces close, both of their heavy breathing mixing.

"you worthless piece of shit. i knew from the beginning you were no good for austin and yet you still tried to worm your way in. now look at what you did!" zion ranted. brandon began to get angry himself and shoved the taller away.

"what i did! he broke up with me! i should be the one crying!"

"but how the fuck do you think it makes him feel when he sees you smacking lips with someone else only a few days later!? i'll give you a hint: like shit!" zion shoved brandon in the chest, in which brandon glared harshly right back.

"he's the one who said we should just be friends! stop making me the bad guy" brandon scoffed. "what do you know anyway!?" he poked him in the chest. "not too long ago you were confessing your love for me, and then right after you're off sucking faces with billie and giving her mixed signals, which only leads you to doing the same thing with edwin."

zion clenched his jaw.

"alright guys, calm down" that familiar voice of billie was eventually heard. she managed to squeeze her way past the crowd and place herself inbetween the two. she was shoved out of the way by charlotte who was one of the prepared to see a fight. her phone was out, the recording sign on display. billie rolled her eyes.

"don't turn this shit on me arreaga. this is about you and your fucking excuse of a girlfriend" zion blurts while motioning over towards maggie; who quietly hid behind another student.

"don't bring her into this."

zion sighed dramatically looking away to see two hall monitors now beginning to approach. he narrowed his eyes, leaning down to be level with brandon.

"you and austin need to get your shit together. figure out what you really want, and i'm not asking" zion then shoved past the group and stalked off.

-

not the best but at least it's an update.

-nevaeh