Someone Else (Part 1)

I gazed across the dance floor at her. She must have felt my gaze because she turned and raised her eyebrows. "See something you like?" she said as she walked closer.

I nervously cleared my throat. "M-maybe."

"Why don't you join me?" Her hand trailed down my arm.

I shivered under her touch. "I really don't think I should be—"

"As if this is the first time I've caught you staring at me." She moved even closer to me. "Tell me, what's your name, beautiful?"

My eyes darted up to hers before landing on my shoes. "It's Alyssa."

"Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, Alyssa. I'm Lena." Her eyes searched mine. "Now, why don't you come join me out there."

My protests died in my throat as she led me by the hand to the middle of the crowd. A blush spread across my cheeks as she started dancing closer to me. "Are you just going to stand there?" Lena asked me.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I ignored it and surprised both of us by throwing my arms around her neck. Lena froze. "Now look who's just standing there," I said close to her ear.

Her hands went to my waist. "You don't want to play that game with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was tired and a little buzzed from the club. I flopped down on my bed and checked my phone. Oh, shit. It was Alex, my boyfriend.

I quickly called his number. He answered as cheerful as ever. "Hey, Alyssa! You missed our usual talking time. What's up?"

"Oh, sorry. I was out."

"Yeah? Well, I hope you had fun. You know, I'm jealous of all the people that actually get to see your smile." He sighed. "Do you think you'll be able to come visit me soon?"

I stared up at the ceiling. "I have tomorrow off if that's okay with you."

"Of course! If you come over around lunchtime I'll take you out to this new restaurant. I've been waiting until you could visit to go try it."

"Aw, that's really sweet of you. I'll see you then."

"I can't wait! Well, I hope you sleep well tonight. Goodnight, Alyssa. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up and wondered why Lena was on my mind instead of my caring boyfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is a really nice place," I said as I surveyed the restaurant.

"It is." Alex glanced around and took a bite of his sandwich. "So, tell me about what you've been up to?"

I took a sip of my drink before replying, "The usual stuff. Work's been really busy. My boss only just let me start having a few days off."

"Aw. I'm sorry about that. But hey, at least you're here with me now. Do you have this weekend off too?"

I nodded. "Unless my boss takes it back and if he does, then I'm quitting."