Someone Else (Part 2)

It would have been our one-year anniversary today. Instead I'm sitting here alone. We had good times together— or at least I thought we did.

But I know she's with her now. I wasn't enough. I couldn't give her what she wanted. This is my fault.

I sighed and stared at the candle burning in front of me. How can it continue to shine in the darkness?

I rose to stare out the window at the stars. I took a deep breath of the cold night air. "I hope you're happy," I whispered into the night, knowing she would never hear it. "She better be treating you right."

A sudden breeze blew past me, causing the candle to flicker and then go out. I shivered, missing her warmth.

"Alyssa," I choked back a sob. "I— I miss you."

A soft knock sounded at my door. I furiously wiped at my eyes. "Who is it?" I called.

When no one replied, I marched over to the door and pulled it open. I stared down at the package waiting on my doorstep.

I bent down and scooped it up. I frowned and brought it inside. It was a plain brown package. I carefully unwrapped it and pulled a card out first.

Dear Alex,

I'm sorry. I should've talked to you sooner. I was... scared. I know I've hurt you. It was never my intention, even though that doesn't make it okay.

It would've been our special day, wouldn't it? I want to talk to you. In person. If you want to come find me, I'll be at our spot. If you don't show then I understand.

Alex, I overreacted. It wasn't okay what I did. I should've been more aware of your feelings. I was too selfish and thinking of my needs.

Anyways, I'll be waiting.

~ Alyssa

I blinked tears away and shakily started unwrapping the box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alyssa POV

I bit my lip as I stared up at the stars. I was so stupid. I checked my watch. It's been over an hour since I left the cake and card for him.

I turned on my heel to leave and almost slammed into Alex. "Alex! You came."

"Of course," he said quietly. He handed me one of the two plates of cake.

We ate in silence. I laid my fork down carefully. "Alex, I never should have left you for her. I was scared of never having something with you. People make a big talk of it, and made it seem important."

"Shouldn't you be with her?" Alex asked.

I took a deep breath. "We broke up shortly after. I haven't talked to her for over a month."

Alex turned to face me. "So what? Now you're saying you want me again?"

"I've always wanted you."

"Then why—" Alex's voice broke, "—why would you be with her?"

"I thought it'd be easier. But then I realised I didn't want something easy, I want something real. We had something real and—"

Alex pulled me into him. He buried his face in my shoulder. "Why are you so stupid, Alyssa?"

I gently rubbed his back. "Guess you'll have to teach me to be smarter."

"Will you promise to never do something like that again? Or if you want to, maybe we could talk about it or something so I know."

"Of course, Alex."

He pulled back slightly to look into my eyes. "Alyssa—"

I pulled him down towards me so our lips could meet. "I won't ever leave again," I promised as we separated.

His eyes were bright as he looked at me. "I love you. I never stopped."

"And neither did I."

~ Crumb