Someday

Mikasa's POV
Year 850
Survey Corps Dungeon
She looked so peaceful with closed eyes and a calm expression. No movements, facial expressions were extremely rare and when they did happen they made me extremely excited. But still, I preferred the insane and bitter woman to the way she was now.

Exactly one year ago, Annie crystallized herself . And every day for exactly one year, I have visited her in her crystal, hoping she'll wake up. Occasionally her face will twitch, her breathing will rise, or a tear will leak from her eye. And it causes hope and joy and excitement to overcome me. But she never wakes up. Not fully at least. I've talked to her, shown her what I've been doing, reading her favorite book to her, or singing her favorite song. But she never wakes up.

Now, on the one year anniversary, I stand outside her crystal, a hand on the glassy surface, wishing I was trapped inside with her. Away from this hellhole of a world, living happily with her. Tears streamed down my eyes as my hand caressed the crystal.

I whispered the girls name softly between sobs, choking on the word. I lifted my head, wishing she would just wake up. Just for one second. So I could tell her I loved her one last time. That was all I wanted.

I reach out my hand, tracing the crystal with my fingertips. 

"I'm sorry, I have to go." I say, making my voice as stead as possible. "Oh, and I left you a really complex music box. I didn't know how long to let it play for before it would drive you crazy, so I set it to play for an hour."

I got the music box custom made to play the song I sang to her on our anniversary and you can set it to play for between three minutes and ten hours. I hope it gives her even a little bit of strength. 

As I make my way up the stairs, I hear an explosion, the ground shakes, the cobblestone walls crack a little. I steady myself as I hear shattering glass. It's only as I stand up and resettle my thoughts that I realize what's going on. 

I race down the stairs at an inhuman speed. She's finally free and there's only one thing I can do about it: run like hell.

And so I do.