18.1: A Mind Ever Longing

As I stood watching Isabella make her way down to the docks, I realized that she was being quite chummy with the sailor that was leading her to the ship that would take her back home. Err, to my home, at least eventually.

"She's way out of your league," Derek remarked, "or your little cricket group, or whatever it is you people call it."

"Sorry, what? No, I wasn't..."

"Sure, whatever you say. She is in my league though," he said with an approving gaze. "Usually don't go for the saucy Spanish types, but I could make an exception there."

His gaze got just a bit too friendly I thought, so I quickly slapped him on the back and said, "Please, you're just momentarily smitten because she rescued you. It's a syndrome, you know. Heard all about it on the telly."

"Look," he said, suddenly stepping in front of me and thrusting an upraised finger within inches of my nose, "I wasn't rescued, pal. I had things worked out."

"Certainly. You had it sorted. Plain as day. You had them right where you wanted them," I said, nodding sagely after the removal of the angry digit. "You were just groaning and muttering about all the chafing to throw them off your trail."

"Look, while you were doing nothing, I was hatching a plan. Biding my time."

"Yes, I'm sure..." I said, trailing off as I peeked around him to see what that scruffy sailor might be up to with Isabella. You could never trust those swarthy sailor types.

"Besides," he said, following my gaze, "if anyone has the whole 'falling in love with their rescuer' syndrome thingy, it's you, pal."

I would, without question, have come up with some stinging rejoinder, but I wasn't really listening anymore as I watched her descend the hill and finally disappear into the unwashed crowds of the market.

Now, you can just wipe that smug grin right off your face. It's not what you're thinking at all. It was nothing really. It didn't mean anything. I mean, no one falls for their cleaning woman, even if she is sleeping in your bed. Though not while I was in it, mind you. No, the whole idea is preposterous!

I just hoped... No, she'd be fine. Certainly, she would.