34.3: Of Malls and Men

I finally managed to extract my ringing mobile from a pocket, and when I answered it, much to the relief of shoppers in the vicinity, I heard, "Sir, it's Higgins. I've spotted the queen! She's down here on my end of the first floor."

"Where on the first floor?" I said with excitement. "What shop is she at, Higgins?"

"I don't know what it's called, but it's a bakery of some sort and it smells delicious."

I knew precisely where that shop was. Everyone did. They primarily sold cinnamon buns, and the smell of them typically permeated that whole section of the mall. It was impossible to ignore, and sometimes they even gave free samples! I hoped today was one of those days. "Right, I'm coming straight down. Ring up Derek and tell him as well."

"Ring up, sir?"

"Push the blue button!"

"Oh, yes, but what about His Majesty?"

"I'll ring him up. Just keep your eyes on the queen, Higgins, and if she leaves, follow her and ring me again."

"Yes, sir."

"Cheers."

I then rung up the king and informed him of the queen's whereabouts as I hurried to the down escalator. We had her now, caught in a warm and sticky cinnamon trap! I was getting peckish just thinking about it.

There was already a hint of cinnamon in the air as I began my descent, tempting me to rush, but one couldn't be rude and walk down the escalator, pushing past other shoppers. Yes, I was in a hurry, but the power of escalator etiquette and a proper English upbringing was too strong, so I waited patiently in the queue as we descended. Once we reached the bottom and the other shoppers cleared the queue, I was off like a shot, quacking like mad.