Epilogue

Derek cursed as he watched the Bounty disappear through the portal to Verlan Beta with a flash. The distraction was enough for the House Werrick soldier he had been fighting to knock him flat on the deck.

The guy was good, but ultimately at a disadvantage because he had clearly been ordered to take Derek alive. That wasn't going to happen.

Derek swept the man's legs out from under him, knocking him to the deck, and quickly dispatched him with his knife.

"You won't be needing this," Derek said, removing the dead guy's anti-grav pack and strapping it on his own back. He then retrieved his rifle while he took in the situation.

The last of the sailors on the Esmerelda were either dead, or soon would be as the remaining soldiers from House Werrick finished them off.

A familiar whoosh told him that the portal had begun to close. Time to leave, he thought, and keyed the grav pack.

The response was instantaneous and Derek arced up toward the wormhole at full throttle, firing parting shots at the House Werrick scumbags as he went. He dropped at least two, and the others, having activated their own packs, were headed for their ship when he spun to face the rapidly approaching portal.

Just before he entered it, Derek wondered how much Verlan Beta had deteriorated since he and his imperial marines had pulled out a few years ago. It was a murderous hell hole then, he thought, and with a flash, he was on his way to find out.

-----------------------------
Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting! I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have, including negative, but hopefully constructive, feedback.

Did the story hold your interest from the beginning?

If you lost interest or got bored, where in the story did it happen?

Is there anything you think could be added to the story, or removed?

Were the characters likeable? Do you have a favorite one?

Are there characters you think need more depth?

What did you like about the story?

Are there things you didn't like?

Did anything confuse or frustrate you in the story?

Comments about the ending?

How interested are you in reading the next book in this series?

What would you like to see happen in the next book?

Any other comments?