33.1: Homecoming

I awoke to Derek shaking me, saying, "Thomas! Wake up, we're here."

"Here?" I asked, coming around.

"We're floating above your house, and we need to get after the queen, so it's time for you to get off."

"Get off? What do you mean, you're leaving?"

"Yes, I told you, we're in a hurry. We have to catch up with the queen. You're home now, Thomas, you don't have to come with us. You can go back to your normal life and forget any of this ever happened."

"You think I can forget this? It's been the most terrifying, painful, and difficult thing I've ever experienced--"

Derek interrupted with, "Exactly, so get off the ship now and go home, Thomas."

"But I don't want to!" I protested. "Despite all of the difficulty, I've never felt more alive!"

"Look, Thomas, if you want to stay that way, then this is your stop. I expect things to get rougher after this, so it's better if you stay behind. Live your life, Thomas. Maybe something will work out with you and Isabella. Who knows? I've seen stranger things happen."

"I don't even know if she is alive, Derek!"

"Then It's time for you to go find out, eh?"

"You're not leaving me behind!" I said, sitting up. "I don't know where this little adventure is taking me, but I'm going to see this thing through, Derek. I have to."

Derek sighed and said, "Fine, suit yourself. But if you're coming with us, then you better make this little stop a quick one. I've got the rope ready for you. Come on."

Derek pulled me to my feet and led me to where one end of the rope was tied to the gunwale. He had me step into a harness of sorts that he had rigged together and then he fastened it on me.

I sat down upon the gunwale and looked over the side to where my home waited below. I reeled as I saw how far of a drop it was to the ground.

Did I mention previously that I don't care for heights? Well, I suppose it really isn't the height as much as the idea of falling from that height, and at that moment that looked like a very real possibility. A glance down at the hastily tied rope, which was the only thing that would be keeping me from such a fall, made up my mind for me. I was staying on the ship.

I was just about to get back onto the safety of the deck when Derek looked me in the eye and said, "Sorry, Thomas," just before he shoved me backward off the gunwale.

Then I was falling.