Chapter 18

"Stegosaurus." Petrie purred and nudged a chunk of meat to her hatchlings. Fern took a bite and wagged her tail.

"Gud!" She chirped, then tried to steal her siblings' share.

"Fern." Petrie growled warningly and the brown and white raptor backed off. Tango watched them purring happily as Teddy came to join them.

Tango set off, watching the sun carefully, making sure to return. She sighed and ran on top of a ridge and looked down. The once organized park was now a dinosaur roaming land. Free to go as they pleased and the best part, no humans.

"What are you doing?" Alexander's voice asked. Tango whipped around and sighed when she saw the brown and blue female.

"Nothing." Tango replied then stared off again.

"I've come to thank you." He stood beside her.

"Don't mention it." She gazed at a speeding gallimimus.

"You don't know what I'm talking about." He said.

"The hunt today?" She didn't look away from the land below.

"No," he said and Tango finally looked at him. "For bringing us out here. You made the park like this. All the dinosaurs we can eat and making us real raptors." He purred.

"Don't mention it." She grunted this time.

Alexander tapped his toe claw in the awkwardness then turned away. "Thank you, Tango."

"Actually," she said, turning to him. "Chi."

"What?" He blinked.

"My name is Chi. The humans gave me that name. I will no longer need it. My parents gave me the name. It means the energy that flows through all living things." She suddenly was aware that she said too much.

He was quiet for a while then dipped his head. "That's pretty."

She blinked, turning away from him. "Thank you."

He stepped forward beside her, his head low. "You don't think that you could give me a real name? The humans of course gave me Alexander."

She tapped her toe claw thoughtfully. "Umm... Spirit?" She said studying him.

"Spirit?"

She nodded. "You're full of it. You're loyal and you're always there for us. It's perfect for you."

Spirit purred thoughtfully. "I like it."