Chapter Eighteen

I stare at the phone in my hand, wondering what the fuck to actually say.

Christine is fast asleep beside me, light breathing coming from her mouth. I look beside me, and notice she looks less aggressive when she's sleeping, the moonlight hitting her face perfectly. She has hard features to her, strong cheekbones, sharp blue eyes, and plump lips that are naturally turned down.

I sigh, finally deciding what to say.

Gray, it's Rose. I have decided what to do about you being in the babies life. You can be there as a dad, but I have some rules to lay out before this is set in stone.

You will need to lessen the partying to be there for them. I don't want to send them with you and then come to find you had left them with a babysitter to go party, or even worse, leaving them home alone.

I don't want you bringing girl after girl near them. I don't want the baby to see that type of relationship play out, unless if you truly commit yourself to someone should they come around my child.

You need to drop the cigarettes. My baby will go nowhere near you unless you quit, second hand smoking is a real thing and they're lungs are barely there as it is.

And lastly, you need to get a job. I will not be paying you a single dime to take care of your own child. I will be paying what I need to on my end, but if I send the baby with you, I expect you to have money to feed, care and spoil them endlessly.

If I do not see change in your character by the time the baby is born, you may not be a part of this child's life. You will never see your own baby, and they will grow up to never know you as their dad. If I do, then we will sit down and create a plan to coparent.

If you do happen to be in the baby's life, that does not mean you will be a part of mine. I do not want to associate more than figuring out when to pick up or drop off the baby, or if it's about the baby's wellbeing.

Change your ways or don't be a dad. Your choice-Rose

I reread the text multiple times before hitting send, breathing a sigh of relief and laying back down beside Christine. It's been a week since Grayson had talked to me about being in the babies life.

I had felt myself tossing and turning all week as his words played in my head, and tonight I just couldn't take it anymore.

I feel a giant weight being lifted on my shoulders as I find myself drifting off to sleep. A small smile appears on my face, knowing that maybe my baby girl does have a chance of having her daddy in her life.

A vibrated buzz comes from my phone beside me, and my eyes shoot open as I bring the screen to my face.

Grayson has texted back.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion and look at the time.

3:01 AM.

I was just thinking about you ;) I'll do anything and everything you ask, I'll show you I'm serious about being there for our child Rose. Just give me a chance. Goodnight...or good morning I should say-Gray

I set down my phone, feeling no need to respond as I smile to myself and instantly fall asleep.

•••

I peer open my eyes and take in my surroundings. The room is still dark, a sign being that it can't be past six in the morning.

I see Rose fast asleep beside me, her red locks in a halo around her head. I sigh before sitting up, wondering why I've randomly awoken now.