Chapter Twenty-Three

Glass shatters against my ear, the sound of leather ripping right behind it as airbags pop out from their compartments.

I feel my head and my body being whipped around, my seatbelt saving me from anymore damage.

The smell of burning rubber hits my nose and I feel a light liquid drip down my forehead.

Fear.

That's the first emotion that struck me as the car flipped upside down.

My babies...

I pray over and over for the pain to subside and for my children to be okay. I wrap both my arms around my stomach protectively, as if holding them to myself would do anything.

I blink as I look around me, everything slowly becoming blurry as my vision turns to black.

•••

I sit along the couch, tapping my foot impatiently as I glance at the door for what feels like the hundredth time.

Christine still has yet to come home, after disappearing with that Dominic guy.

Landon sits beside me, rubbing circles on my back in an attempt to comfort me and settle my nerves.

The rest of my family tries to relax as they watch the movie playing out on the screen, but the tense atmosphere says otherwise about our relaxed postures.

I tie my fire like hair up into a messy ponytail, wondering what could possibly be taking her so long.

Before I can allow another thought to enter my head, my mom's phone begins to ring. I instantly sit up, glancing over to see an unsaved number on her screen appear.

She picks it up to her ear, her eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"Hello?" My mom questions lightly, her eyes widening upon hearing the person on the other end. She quickly runs up the stairs, only to return a minute later with a look of panic and a pair of slippers on her feet.

"Get in the car now, all of you," she yells and no one dares question her about what's going on.

We all run to her car, Landon and the twins sitting in the back as I claim the passenger seat.

"Who was on the phone?" I ask as she begins to pull out. The moon lights up the street brightly, as it is getting late into the night.

"The hospital. Christine got into an accident," Mom says in a rush. I feel my heart begin to beat even faster as I take in her words, a panic settling into my skin.

"No," I whisper and I see a tear slip out of her eyes.

"A car crash?" Liam asks, a somber tone taking place of his usual light casual talk.

"Yes, a really bad one. Apparently the car got flipped upside down," my mother says and I feel the need to throw up.

I put a protective arm around my stomach, only being able to imagine what is happening with her babies.

"What about the babies?" Landon asks and I can see my mom tense beside me as she glances in the review mirror.

"I don't know," she mutters and I glance back to see Landon shedding a tear.